Streetspace for London
We are working with your borough to widen pavements at town centres and transport hubs, create temporary cycle routes on our transport network and create low traffic neighbourhoods.
Temporary changes to travel
There are temporary changes to travel in London while we work on supporting the restart of the Capital including:
- Suspending Concessionary travel for Older Person's Freedom pass and 60-plus Oyster card
- Resuming the Congestion Charging Zone with extended times and an increased charge
- Resuming the Ultra Low Emission Zone
- Further update on assistance for customers with accessibility needs
Funding for your borough
We provide funding to boroughs and local communities for transport improvements in your local area.
Local Implementation Plan (LIP)
The LIP funding stream provided by TfL to help our partners in the boroughs and the City of London has been paused while we focus on measures to increase walking and cycling and to ensure social distancing on our network.
LIP targets for Harrow
Each borough has set targets in their LIP against the Mayor's Transport Strategy outcomes - we track and report on progress against these targets in the LIP3 MTS outcomes borough data pack.
For example, the car ownership in the borough was 104,249 in 2017. The LIP target to reduce car ownership by 2021 is 100,600.
Residents in Harrow made an average of 515,000 trips each day between 2015 and 2018 by:
- Car and motorcycle: 47%
- Tube/DLR: 12%
- National Rail and London Overground: 1%
- Bus/Tram: 9%
- Taxi/Other: 1%
- Cycle: 1%
- Walking: 29%
We also work with boroughs to encourage more cycling. We recorded 3,198 daily cycle trips on average starting in Harrow between 2015 and 2018.
We are working with boroughs to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to zero by 2041. They are responsible for enforcing safe speeds on their roads, as well as leading community programmes to encourage using roads safely. Find out more about Vision Zero.
In 2017 there were 69 individuals killed or seriously injured in Harrow. Our target for 2022 is to reduce this number to 38.
What we're working on in Harrow
- We consult local communities on a range of projects every year - search on the TfL Consultation Hub
- Find out about major works and events near you
- See some ongoing TfL improvements and projects in or near Harrow
- Find out about property development projects in your borough
Work now going on in your borough includes:
- Step-free access - both Harrow-on-the-Hill and Sudbury Hill stations will be made accessible by spring 2020
- Station car parks - we're searching for a partner to work with us on developing car parks at Canons Park, Rayners Lane and Stanmore Tube stations. These three sites will hold approximately 400 homes, all of which will be affordable, and could also include new retail, commercial and leisure space, as well as improved connections for people walking and cycling in the area
- Four Lines Modernisation - residents will benefit from this London-wide scheme to add room and boost reliability on four Tube lines, making journeys on the Metropolitan line faster and more comfortable
Bus network changes
From time to time - after consulting the public - we alter bus routes to reflect changing patterns in demand. We also make temporary changes, often because of road works. See the latest bus changes.
Our assets in Harrow
Assets we maintain in your borough include:
- 10 Tube stations
- Three London Overground stations
- Around 430 bus stops - see all 39 day bus routes in Harrow
- One bus station
- Four car parks
- Around 100 traffic signals
We maintain our assets until they need to be renewed or disposed of as set out in our asset management plan. We do this by:
- Servicing them regularly to keep them operational
- Repairing or replacing faulty assets
Report a problem on a London street with our Streetcare tool.
We do not maintain in Harrow:
- Non-red route roads - these roads are maintained by Harrow
- Litter removal on red routes - this is also the borough's responsibility
- Network Rail track at London Overground stations - contact Network Rail
- Taxis and mini cabs - these are owned by taxi drivers and minicab offices
- Two bus garages in Harrow that are owned and managed by bus companies
- Taxi ranks on borough roads. Cars and other vehicles parked on taxi ranks can be reported to Harrow
Dealing with severe weather
For documents relating to winter service in the boroughs, go to the Streets publications page.