Hammersmith & Fulham
Local Implementation Plan (LIP)
The LIP is produced by the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham and agreed with us. It sets out the details on transport infrastructure changes in a three-year period to support the Mayor's Transport Strategy.
LIP targets for Hammersmith & Fulham
Each borough has set targets in their LIP against the Mayor's Transport Strategy outcomes - we track and report on progress against these targets in the LIP3 MTS outcomes borough data pack.
For example, the car ownership in the borough was 43,852 in 2017. The LIP target to reduce car ownership by 2041 is 43,700.
Residents in Hammersmith & Fulham made an average of 452,000 trips each day between 2015 and 2018 by:
- Car and motorcycle: 18%
- Tube /DLR: 14%
- National Rail and London Overground: 3%
- Bus/Tram: 15%
- Taxi/Other: 1%
- Cycle: 6%
- Walking: 42%
We also work with boroughs to encourage more cycling. We recorded 26,398 daily cycle trips on average starting in Hammersmith & Fulham between 2015 and 2018.
Funding for your borough
We provide funding to boroughs and local communities for transport improvements in your local area.
Streetspace for London
We are working with your borough to widen pavements at town centres and transport hubs, create temporary cycle routes on our transport network and create low traffic neighbourhoods.
Pavements have been widened on Kings Road to allow people to access local essential shops and services more easily.
We are working with boroughs to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to zero by 2041. They are responsible for enforcing safe speeds on their roads, as well as leading community programmes to encourage using roads safely. Find out more about Vision Zero.
In 2017 there were 97 individuals killed or seriously injured in Hammersmith & Fulham. Our target for 2022 is to reduce this number to 66.
What we're improving in Hammersmith & Fulham
- We consult local communities on a range of projects every year - search on the TfL Consultation Hub
- Find out about major works and events near you
- To see some improvements in or near the borough, select 'Hammersmith & Fulham' under the Borough drop down on Improvements & projects
Work now going on in your borough includes:
- Wood Lane to Notting Hill Gate cycle route - we're developing proposals for a new cycle route that will connect key town centres including Wood Lane, Shepherd's Bush, Holland Park and Notting Hill. We're also looking to introduce Cycleway 9 from Olympia to Hounslow
- Hammersmith Bridge refurbishment - following the closure of the bridge to motorised traffic, we have agreed with the council on a plan for full refurbishment of the bridge
- Low Emission Bus Zone - only buses that meet or exceed Euro VI emissions standards are allowed in the Chiswick to Kensington High Street zones
Bus network changes
From time to time - after consulting the public - we alter bus routes to reflect changing patterns in demand. We also make temporary changes, often because of road works. See the latest bus changes.
Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)
To improve air quality the ULEZ will extend to Hammersmith & Fulham from October 2021.
Our assets in Hammersmith & Fulham
Assets we maintain in your borough include:
- 15 Tube stations
- Three London Overground stations
- Around 290 bus stops - see all 46 day bus routes in Hammersmith & Fulham
- Five bus stations
- Three coach stops
- 61 Santander Cycles docking stations
- Around 135 traffic signals
- Over 6 kilometres of red routes
We maintain our assets until they need to be renewed or disposed of as set out in our asset management plan. We do this by:
- Servicing them regularly to keep them operational
- Repairing or replacing faulty assets
Report a problem on a London street with our Streetcare tool.
We do not maintain in Hammersmith & Fulham:
- Non-red route roads - these roads are maintained by Hammersmith & Fulham
- Litter removal on red routes - this is also the borough's responsibility
- Network Rail track at London Overground stations - contact Network Rail
- Taxis and mini cabs - these are owned by taxi drivers and minicab offices
- One coach stop on Hammersmith Road
- One bus garage in Hammersmith & Fulham that is owned and managed by a bus company
- Taxi ranks on borough roads. Cars and other vehicles parked on taxi ranks can be reported to Hammersmith & Fulham
Dealing with severe weather
For documents relating to winter service in the boroughs, go to the Streets publications page.