Local Implementation Plan (LIP)
LIP targets for Hounslow
Each borough has set targets in their LIP against the Mayor's Transport Strategy outcomes - we track and report on progress against these targets in the LIP3 MTS outcomes borough data pack.
For example, the car ownership in the borough was 101,977 in 2017. The LIP target to reduce car ownership by 2021 is 99,200.
Residents in Hounslow made an average of 526,000 trips each day between 2015 and 2018 by:
- Car and motorcycle: 42%
- Tube/DLR: 7%
- National Rail and London Overground: 5%
- Bus/Tram: 14%
- Taxi/Other: 1%
- Cycle: 3%
- Walking: 23%
We also work with boroughs to encourage more cycling. We recorded 17,647 daily cycle trips on average starting in Hounslow between 2015 and 2018.
Funding for your borough
We provide funding to boroughs and local communities for transport improvements in your local area.
Streetspace for London
We are working with your borough to widen pavements at town centres and transport hubs, create temporary cycle routes on our transport network and create low traffic neighbourhoods.
In Hounslow the low traffic neighbourhood will be created in extend along the future Cycleway 9 route between Kensington Olympia and Brentford by closing local roads to through traffic.
We are working with boroughs to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to zero by 2041. They are responsible for enforcing safe speeds on their roads, as well as leading community programmes to encourage using roads safely. Find out more about Vision Zero.
In 2017 there were 114 individuals killed or seriously injured in Hounslow. Our target for 2022 is to reduce this number to 65.
What we're working on in Hounslow
- We consult local communities on a range of projects every year - search on the TfL Consultation Hub
- Find out about major works and events near you
- See some ongoing TfL improvements and projects in or near Hounslow
Work now going on in your borough includes:
- South Chiswick - Hounslow has funding for their ambitious Liveable Neighbourhoods scheme in South Chiswick. We will work closely with their team to make sure the project brings Healthy Streets benefits for as many people as possible
- Hogarth roundabout - we're developing a scheme to make this busy west London junction operate more smoothly and to bring Healthy Streets and safety benefits for all road users
- Feltham town centre - the project includes extending the platforms at Feltham station and a new pedestrian and cycle bridge. Hounslow Council will also improve Feltham High Street. This regeneration project is partly funded through the borough's Local Implementation Plan
Bus network changes
From time to time - after consulting the public - we alter bus routes to reflect changing patterns in demand. We also make temporary changes, often because of road works. See the latest bus changes.
Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)
To improve air quality the ULEZ will extend to parts of Hounslow from October 2021.
Our assets in Hounslow
Assets we maintain in your borough include:
- Eight Tube stations
- One London Overground station
- Around 680 bus stops - see all 46 day bus routes in Hounslow
- One taxi rank
- Around 215 traffic signals
- Over 33 kilometres of red routes
We maintain our assets until they need to be renewed or disposed of as set out in our asset management plan. We do this by:
- Servicing them regularly to keep them operational
- Repairing or replacing faulty assets
Report a problem on a London street with our Streetcare tool.
We do not maintain in Hounslow:
- Non-red route roads - these roads are maintained by Hounslow
- Litter removal on red routes - this is also the borough's responsibility
- Network Rail track at London Overground stations - contact Network Rail
- Taxis and mini cabs - these are owned by taxi drivers and minicab offices
- Five bus garages in Hounslow that are owned and managed by bus companies
- Taxi ranks on borough roads. Cars and other vehicles parked on taxi ranks can be reported to Hounslow
Dealing with severe weather
For documents relating to winter service in the boroughs, go to the Streets publications page.