Streetspace for London
We are working with your borough to widen pavements at town centres and transport hubs, create temporary cycle routes on our transport network and create low traffic neighbourhoods.
Temporary changes to travel
There are temporary changes to travel in London while we work on supporting the restart of the Capital including:
- Suspending Concessionary travel for Older Person's Freedom pass and 60-plus Oyster card
- Resuming the Congestion Charging Zone with extended times and an increased charge
- Resuming the Ultra Low Emission Zone
- Further update on assistance for customers with accessibility needs
Funding in your borough
We provide funding to boroughs and local communities for transport improvements in your local area.
Your Local Implementation Plan (LIP)
The LIP funding stream provided by TfL to help our partners in the boroughs and the City of London has been paused while we focus on measures to increase walking and cycling and to ensure social distancing on our network.
LIP targets for Bexley
Each borough has set targets in their LIP against the Mayor's Transport Strategy outcomes - we track and report on progress against these targets in the LIP3 MTS outcomes borough data pack.
For example, the car ownership in the borough was 113,172 in 2017. The LIP target to reduce car ownership by 2021 is 112,000.
Residents in Bexley made an average of 535,000 trips each day between 2015 and 2018 by:
- Car and motorcycle: 56%
- Tube/DLR: 0%
- National Rail and London Overground: 9%
- Bus/Tram: 10%
- Taxi/Other: 1%
- Cycle: 1%
- Walking: 23%
We also work with boroughs to encourage more cycling. We recorded 5,291 daily cycle trips on average starting in Bexley between 2015 and 2018.
Vision Zero in your borough
We are working with boroughs to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to zero by 2041. They are responsible for enforcing safe speeds on their roads, as well as leading community programmes to encourage using roads safely. Find out more about Vision Zero.
In 2017 there were 57 individuals killed or seriously injured in Bexley. Our target for 2022 is to reduce this number to 52.
What we're working on in Bexley
- We consult local communities on a range of projects every year - search on the TfL Consultation Hub
- Find out about major works and events near you
- See some ongoing TfL improvements and projects in or near Bexley
Work now going on in your borough includes:
- Elizabeth line - this will provide direct services into central London and beyond. We're also working with the borough on proposals for an eastern extension from Abbey Wood to Ebbsfleet
- Traffic light timing review - 30 sets of traffic lights in the borough are reviewed annually to make it easier for people to walk, cycle or take the bus
- Abbey Wood public areas - with the borough, we're improving the area around the station with a new crossing, a new public space and the regeneration of Gayton Road
Bus network changes
From time to time - after consulting the public - we alter bus routes to reflect changing patterns in demand. We also make temporary changes, often because of road works. See the latest bus changes.
Our assets in Bexley
Assets we maintain in your borough include:
- One Elizabeth line station (Abbey Wood)
- Around 610 bus stops - see all 36 day bus routes in Bexley
- Two coach stops
- Around 105 traffic signals
- Over 10 kilometres of red routes
We maintain our assets until they need to be renewed or disposed of as set out in our asset management plan. We do this by:
- Servicing them regularly to keep them operational
- Repairing or replacing faulty assets
Report a problem on a London street with our Streetcare tool.
We do not maintain in Bexley:
- Non-red route roads - these roads are maintained by Bexley
- Litter removal on red routes - this is also the borough's responsibility
- Taxis and mini cabs - these are owned by taxi drivers and minicab offices
- Two bus garages in Bexley that are owned and managed by bus companies
- The taxi rank on Broadway, a borough road. Cars and other vehicles parked on taxi ranks can be reported to Bexley
Dealing with severe weather
For documents relating to winter service in the boroughs, go to the Streets publications page.