Local Implementation Plan (LIP)
The LIP is produced by the London Borough of Wandsworth and agreed with us. It sets out the details on transport infrastructure changes in a three-year period to support the Mayor's Transport Strategy.
LIP targets for Wandsworth
Each borough has set targets in their LIP against the Mayor's Transport Strategy outcomes - we track and report on progress against these targets in the LIP3 MTS outcomes borough data pack.
For example, the car ownership in the borough was 82,860 in 2017. The LIP target to reduce car ownership by 2021 is 81,500.
Residents in Wandsworth made an average of 725,000 trips each day between 2015 and 2018 by:
- Car and motorcycle: 28%
- Tube/DLR: 10%
- National Rail and London Overground: 9%
- Bus/Tram: 12%
- Taxi/Other: 3%
- Cycle: 3%
- Walking: 35%
We also work with boroughs to encourage more cycling. We recorded 21,744 daily cycle trips on average starting in Wandsworth between 2015 and 2018.
Funding for your borough
We provide funding to boroughs and local communities for transport improvements in your local area.
Streetspace for London
We are working with your borough to widen pavements at town centres and transport hubs, create temporary cycle routes on our transport network and create low traffic neighbourhoods.
We are also upgrading the existing cycle route from Pimlico to Putney by creating sections of temporary segregation for example.
We are working with boroughs to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to zero by 2041. They are responsible for enforcing safe speeds on their roads, as well as leading community programmes to encourage using roads safely. Find out more about Vision Zero.
In 2017 there were 147 individuals killed or seriously injured in Wandsworth. Our target for 2022 is to reduce this number to 81.
What we're working on in Wandsworth
- We consult local communities on a range of projects every year - search the TfL Consultation Hub
- Find out about major works and events near you
- See some ongoing TfL improvements and projects in or near Wandsworth
Work now going on in your borough includes:
- Northern line extension - extending the line to Battersea will help regenerate the Vauxhall, Nine Elms and Battersea areas. Two new stations are being built at Nine Elms and Battersea Power Station
- Wandsworth town centre - we propose to reduce traffic dominance along the High Street and return the road network to two-way
- Nine Elms and Battersea Park Lane - improvements for bus passengers as well as people walking and cycling
- Healthy High Streets - Tooting High Street improvements include cleaning and repainting street furniture such as electrical cabinets to promote links with the local area, installing new wayfinding signage to help people find both local markets, working on a scheme to introduce a 20mph speed limit to Tooting Town Centre and better pedestrian crossings in the area
Bus network changes
From time to time - after consulting the public - we alter bus routes to reflect changing patterns in demand. We also make temporary changes, often because of road works. See the latest bus changes.
Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)
To improve air quality the ULEZ will extend to parts of Wandsworth from October 2021.
Our assets in Wandsworth
Assets we maintain in your borough include:
- Five Tube stations
- One London Overground station
- Around 510 bus stops - see all 55 day bus routes in Wandsworth
- 62 Santander Cycles docking stations
- Cycle Superhighway 8 which runs from Wandsworth to Westminster
- One taxi rank
- Around 235 traffic signals
- Over 33 kilometres of red routes
We maintain our assets until they need to be renewed or disposed of as set out in our asset management plan. We do this by:
- Servicing them regularly to keep them operational
- Repairing or replacing faulty assets
Report a problem on a London street with our Streetcare tool.
We do not maintain in Wandsworth:
- Non-red route roads - these are maintained by Wandsworth
- Litter removal on red routes - this is also the borough's responsibility
- Network Rail track at London Overground stations - contact Network Rail
- Taxis and mini cabs - these are owned by taxi drivers and minicab offices
- One bus garage in Wandsworth that is owned and managed by a bus company
- Taxi ranks on borough roads. Cars and other vehicles parked on taxi ranks can be reported to Wandsworth
Dealing with severe weather
For documents relating to winter service in the boroughs, go to the Streets publications page.