Battersea Bridge safety
In summer 2021 we intend to build a brand-new signalised pedestrian crossing on the north side of Battersea Bridge to improve safety for people walking at this busy junction.
Since the tragic death of a man on the bridge early in 2021, we've worked closely with Kensington and Chelsea Council to agree on urgent plans for the crossing.
Every death on London's streets is one too many, and we are committed to making London safer through the Mayor's Vision Zero programme. This aims to eradicate deaths and serious injuries on London's roads by 2041.
What we're doing
The new crossing - which we will build across the southern arm of the junction of Battersea Bridge, Beaufort Street, Cheyne Walk and Chelsea Embankment - will:
- Operate with a push button
- Have a pedestrian countdown timer
- Enable people to walk across the southern arm of the junction free from the dangers of turning vehicles
We will also:
- Widen the pavement on each side of Battersea Bridge Road
- Install tactile paving to make it easier for people with accessibility needs
- Enforce the existing banned right turn from Cheyne Walk into Battersea Bridge Road 24 hours a day, instead of just during the daytime
- Install a new stop line for cyclists 12.5 metres from its existing position
A drawing of the crossing's design is included below.
We will make these changes as soon as possible and tell local people when we plan to build the crossing.
After the a new crossing over the southern arm of the junction is installed, we propose adding two more pedestrian crossings on Cheyne Walk (the junction's western arm) and Beaufort Street (the junction's northern arm).
We will continue to work with Kensington and Chelsea Council and other stakeholders to agree these plans and will hold a full public consultation on them later in 2021.
Safety improvements are also planned at the southern end of the bridge. We will continue to work closely with Wandsworth Council on those plans.
A public consultation on the proposals for further safety improvements at Battersea Bridge will be held in summer 2021.
Check back here for a link to the consultation web page.