Streetspace for London
We are working with your borough to widen pavements at town centres and transport hubs, create temporary cycle routes on our transport network and create low traffic neighbourhoods.
We are creating space for cycling between Catford town centre and Lewisham via the A2.
Temporary changes to travel
There are temporary changes to travel in London while we work on supporting the restart of the Capital including:
- Suspending Concessionary travel for Older Person's Freedom pass and 60-plus Oyster card
- Resuming the Congestion Charging Zone with extended times and an increased charge
- Resuming the Ultra Low Emission Zone
- Further update on assistance for customers with accessibility needs
Funding for your borough
We provide funding to boroughs and local communities for transport improvements in your local area.
Local Implementation Plan (LIP)
The LIP funding stream provided by TfL to help our partners in the boroughs and the City of London has been paused while we focus on measures to increase walking and cycling and to ensure social distancing on our network.
LIP targets for Lewisham
Each borough has set targets in their LIP against the Mayor's Transport Strategy outcomes - we track and report on progress against these targets in the LIP3 MTS outcomes borough data pack.
For example, the car ownership in the borough was 77,997 in 2017. The LIP target to reduce car ownership by 2021 is 75,100.
Residents in Lewisham made an average of 675,000 trips each day between 2015 and 2018 by:
- Car and motorcycle: 32%
- Tube/DLR: 5%
- National Rail and London Overground: 12%
- Bus/Tram: 18%
- Taxi/Other: 1%
- Cycle: 2%
- Walking: 31%
We also work with boroughs to encourage more cycling. We recorded 14,075 daily cycle trips on average starting in Lewisham between 2015 and 2018.
We are working with boroughs to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to zero by 2041. They are responsible for enforcing safe speeds on their roads, as well as leading community programmes to encourage using roads safely. Find out more about Vision Zero.
In 2017 there were 120 individuals killed or seriously injured in Lewisham. Our target for 2022 is to reduce this number to 44.
What we're working on in Lewisham
- We consult local communities on a range of projects every year - search on the TfL Consultation Hub
- Find out about major works and events near you
- See some ongoing TfL improvements and projects in or near Lewisham
Work now going on in your borough includes:
- Tower Bridge to Greenwich cycling and walking improvements - our work on Cycleway 4 will create a continuous segregated cycle route between Tower Bridge and Greenwich
- Deptford Parks - we're investing £1.5m in Liveable Neighbourhood funding to help the council reduce traffic and encourage walking, cycling and the use of public transport in Deptford. A new traffic-free route will run along the former Grand Surrey Canal and new cycle routes through the park will link to the proposed new Bakerloo line station
- Bakerloo line extension - we're developing plans to extend the Bakerloo line through Old Kent Road to New Cross Gate, Lewisham and beyond. This will allow 25,000 new homes and 5,000 new jobs
Bus network changes
From time to time - after consulting the public - we alter bus routes to reflect changing patterns in demand. We also make temporary changes, often because of road works. See the latest bus changes.
Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)
To improve air quality the ULEZ will extend to parts of Lewisham from October 2021.
Our assets in Lewisham
Assets we maintain in your borough include:
- Eight London Overground stations
- Two DLR stations
- Around 620 bus stops - see all 54 bus routes in Lewisham
- Two bus stations
- One taxi rank
- One car park
- Around 170 traffic signals
- Over 20 kilometres of red routes
We maintain our assets until they need to be renewed or disposed of as set out in our asset management plan. We do this by:
- Servicing them regularly to keep them operational
- Repairing or replacing faulty assets
Report a problem on a London street with our Streetcare tool.
We do not maintain in Lewisham:
- Non-red route roads - these roads are maintained by Lewisham
- Litter removal on red routes - this is also the borough's responsibility
- Network Rail track at London Overground stations - contact Network Rail. Track and signals between New Cross to Silwood depot is maintained by us
- Taxis and mini cabs - these are owned by taxi drivers and minicab offices
- Three bus garages in Lewisham that are owned and managed by bus companies
- Taxi ranks on borough roads. Cars and other vehicles parked on taxi ranks can be reported to Lewisham
Dealing with severe weather
For documents relating to winter service in the boroughs, go to the Streets publications page.