Healthy streets schemes
We are working to support boroughs in the delivery of their schemes within the current funding environment. In places this means new cycle routes and low traffic neighbourhoods and in others prioritising buses and making journey times faster and more reliable.
We are creating space for cycling between Catford town centre and Lewisham via the A2.
Here are some updates to your travel around London and your borough:
- Our Everyone's Future Counts document highlights our programmes designed to support those who are held back due to the barriers in education and the workplace
- We have published our annual Gender, Ethnicity and Disability Pay Gap reports
- The TfL Go app will help you travel comfortably
- Our pay as you go fares are automatically capped, so you don't need to buy a travel card in advance. Create an online account or use the Oyster app to quickly and easily calculate your expenses
- Our Vision Zero progress report outlines achievements from the first three years of the Mayor's Vision Zero plan and commits to new tougher measures to ensure that it meets the goal of eliminating death and serious injury from London's roads
Funding for your borough
We provide funding to boroughs and local communities for transport improvements in your local area.
Local Implementation Plan (LIP)
Borough funding allocation - 27 March 2023
Borough funding allocation letter September 2022
Funding allocation letter - Lewisham - July 2021
Local Implementation Plan (LIP) allocation 2020/21
Local Implementation Plan (LIP) 2020/21 letter
Local Implementation Plan (LIP) allocation 2019/20
Local Implementation Plan (LIP) confirmation letter 2017/18 - Borough Leader
Local Implementation Plan (LIP) confirmation letter 2016/17
Local Implementation Plan (LIP) delivery plan letter
Public Transport access levels - Lewisham
LIP targets for Lewisham
Each borough has set targets in their LIP against the Mayor's Transport Strategy outcomes - we track and report on progress against these targets in the LIP3 MTS outcomes borough data pack.
For example, the car ownership in the borough was 77,715 in 2019. The LIP target to reduce car ownership by 2021 is 75,100.
We also work with boroughs to encourage more cycling. We recorded 14,075 daily cycle trips on average starting in Lewisham between 2015 and 2018.
We are working with boroughs to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries from all road collisions to zero by 2041. They are responsible for enforcing safe speeds on their roads, as well as leading community programmes to encourage using roads safely. Find out more about Vision Zero and the Lowering Speed Limits Programme.
In 2019 there were 119 individuals killed or seriously injured in Lewisham. Our target for 2022 is to reduce this number to 44.
Helping your community
The Vision Zero dashboard enables organisations and members of the public to more easily access and interpret collision data. In sharing collision data in this way, organisations can better identify the road danger challenges specific to their respective sectors and communities, and work together with us, London's boroughs and other agencies to tackle them.
The dashboard currently comprises collision data from 2017-2020 and will soon include future data and further analysis capability.
TfL's Motorcycle safety courses
We offer a range of free online and face to face motorcycle safety training courses across all boroughs to help ensure motorcyclists stay safe on London's busy roads and support the Vision Zero objective to eliminate all deaths and serious injuries on London's roads by 2041.
Electric scooter (e-scooters) trial
In partnership with London Councils, we're running a trial of rental e-scooters. Since June 2021 e-scooters have been available to rent in a small number of London boroughs - working together on a single trial means it can run consistently across participating boroughs, with safety at its core.
We're still inviting boroughs to join the trial. Get in touch If you would like to be involved.
What we're working on in Lewisham
- We consult local communities on a range of projects every year. Search our online consultation and engagement tool - Have Your Say
- Find out about major works and events near you
- See some ongoing TfL improvements and projects in or near Lewisham
Work now going on in your borough includes:
- Tower Bridge to Greenwich cycling and walking improvements - our work on Cycleway 4 will create a continuous segregated cycle route between Tower Bridge and Greenwich
- Junction improvement works at Brownhill Road/Torridon Road will make it safer for pedestrians to cross this busy junction and connect communities
Bus network changes
From time to time - after consulting the public - we alter bus routes to reflect changing patterns in demand. We also make temporary changes, often because of road works. See the latest bus changes.
Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)
The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) operates across all London boroughs and the City of London. The M25 is not in the zone. This is part of the commitment by the Mayor and TfL to help every Londoner breathe cleaner air.
The ULEZ operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends (except Christmas Day), with a £12.50 daily charge for vehicles that do not meet the required emissions standards.
If you drive anywhere within the ULEZ, and your vehicle does not meet the emissions standards, you could face a daily charge of £12.50. Use the TfL vehicle checker to see if your vehicle is compliant.
Our assets in Lewisham
Assets we maintain in your borough include:
- Eight London Overground stations
- Two DLR stations
- Around 620 bus stops - see all 54 bus routes in Lewisham
- Two bus stations
- One taxi rank
- One car park
- Around 170 traffic signals
- Over 20 kilometres of red routes
We maintain our assets until they need to be renewed or disposed of as set out in our asset management plan. We do this by:
- Servicing them regularly to keep them operational
- Repairing or replacing faulty assets
Report a problem on a London street with our Streetcare tool.
We do not maintain in Lewisham:
- Non-red route roads - these roads are maintained by Lewisham
- Litter removal on red routes - this is also the borough's responsibility
- Network Rail track at London Overground stations - contact Network Rail. Track and signals between New Cross to Silwood depot is maintained by us
- Taxis and mini cabs - these are owned by taxi drivers and minicab offices
- Three bus garages in Lewisham that are owned and managed by bus companies
- Taxi ranks on borough roads. Cars and other vehicles parked on taxi ranks can be reported to Lewisham
Dealing with severe weather
For documents relating to winter service in the boroughs, go to the Streets publications page.