Travel guidance for businesses
Briefing for businesses
Our guidance for businesses and employees sets out our latest travel advice for businesses, to help you and your employees return to the workplace.
We developed this guidance in collaboration with the business community as we continue to work together to help London recover from the coronavirus pandemic.
Active travel toolkit
Coronavirus has changed the way we work and commute. This toolkit provides practical tools and advice to confidently encourage and enable your workforce to pick active travel options (including walking, jogging and cycling) to and from their place of work.
Supporting active travel for your workforce will ensure you have resilient policies at the heart of your recovery plans. The information and ideas in this toolkit have proven benefits for both employees' mental and physical wellbeing and businesses' resilience and productivity.
Guidance on cycle parking for businesses
This guidance is aimed at businesses looking for advice on how to provide cycle parking as a way of encouraging employees, visitors and customers to cycle to their premises.
Travel guidance for the construction sector
We are committed to helping get more of the construction sector moving and working safely, sustainably and as quickly as possible. Social distancing measures mean that the number of people that can travel on our network is significantly constrained.
We are doing all we can to ensure a safe transport network, but we need the construction sector to play its part too.
As employers, you can help by:
- Enhancing the facilities you offer, such as lockers, showers and cycle storage, to enable your workforce to walk and cycle all or part of their journey to site. (Download the Active travel recovery toolkit above for more details)
- The best time to travel is 08:15-16:00 and after 17:30. You could change your operating hours and/or stagger shifts to help your workforce travel to and from work during these times
- Working with local planning authorities to change site operating hours further if necessary
- Working with neighbouring major sites to stagger operating times or workers' shift times
- Allocating those shifts starting and finishing around peak travel times (05:45 to 08:15 and 16:00 to 17:30) to workers who can walk or cycle to and from work
- Consolidating and retiming the transportation of materials and waste to and from your sites to avoid the busiest times of day on the road network (currently between 06:00-10:00, and 15:00-19:00)
Advice for areas of concentrated construction activity
Specific advice for Vauxhall Nine Elms, Westminster, The City, Canary Wharf and Stratford
We have produced detailed information and advice for workers travelling to sites in areas of concentrated construction activity and some of our busiest stations - you can download this below.
If you have sites operating in these areas, please share this with your workforce to help get them and the rest of London moving and working again as safely and sustainably as possible.
Download travel advice for your workforce in Vauxhall Nine Elms, Westminster, The City, Canary Wharf and Stratford.
Tell us what you are doing
We know the construction industry is adapting to the challenges of coronavirus - innovating around supply chain, site operations and workforce welfare and travel.
We want to hear about the changes you're implementing to:
- Help and encourage your employees to travel differently, in a way that's healthy for them
- Reduce the volume and impact of construction related road freight to and from your sites
Help us publicise your leadership by emailing us details of your best practice at email@example.com
Travel guidance for Higher Education institutions
Originally developed to help businesses support for their employees' travel, our Briefing for businesses and Active travel toolkit can also help universities and other Higher Education institutions. Both are full of information and tools that you can call on to help encourage and support students and staff to travel safely and sustainably.
Just like our work with the construction sector, we're really keen to help publicise your leadership. Please email us details of how you're supporting safe and sustainable travel among your students and staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.