Existing licensee

You can call us on 0343 222 4444 to:

  • Check the progress of your application or renewal
  • Change your name or address
  • Change your medical conditions
  • Apply for an exemption
  • Request a replacement licence
  • Book your operator inspection
  • Notify us of any convictions, cautions or charges

If you wish to:

  • Change your vehicle details
  • Book your vehicle inspection

Please phone us on 0343 222 5555.

Renewing your driver licence

To ensure your licence is renewed in good time, we now issue all application packs four months before the expiry date.

Once you receive the form from us, please apply to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for a criminal records check. We also recommend that you also register the the DBS Update service to prevent any further delays in the future.

The DBS are also offering an updated service: subscribers to this service won't be required to apply for a new disclosure when renewing their licence, which eliminates the risk of delays in the processing of applications. This also saves money on the cost of a new Disclosure Certificate. A disclosure will only be required where a change has occurred.

We recommend that make your renewal application using our new online functionality. Details of how to register for an account are contained within the renewal pack sent to you.

The new online process makes its quicker and easier to apply for both new and renewal driver licences. It also provides functionality for you to track your application.

Alternatively you can complete the postal pack and post it to us using the envelope provided. When applying by post:

  • Check the details on the form and change any detail that is incorrect
  • Please ensure that you provide an email address so that we can provide updates quicker
  • Ensure you provide either consent to check your DVLA details
  • Sign the declaration

Please post your completed application to us at the earliest opportunity.

We also require you to:

  • Return your old licence to us within seven days of it expiring
  • Private Hire drivers are also required to return their PHV badge

Lost badge or licence

If your badge, taxi driver identifiers (taxi only) or licence is lost in a public place or stolen you must report this to the police, who will provide you with a 'Property lost in streets' form or crime reference number.

You need to have your badge, taxi driver identifiers (taxi only) and licence with you at all times in order to work. If any of these are lost, stolen or damaged, you must inform us immediately

Private hire drivers

You can call us on 0343 222 4444 (TfL call charges) if you have lost your private hire driver badge or licence.

Taxi (black cab) drivers

Lost badge

If you are a licensed taxi driver and have lost your taxi driver's badge then you must return both your original and copy taxi driver licences. The replacement badge fee is £15.

We will update your licences with your new badge number and your replacement badge and licences will be sent to you by recorded delivery post.

Lost licence

If you are a licensed taxi driver and have lost your original or copy taxi driver's licence then you must request a replacement and return this to us with a recent colour passport-sized photograph. You must also send in your original or copy licence if you still have either of these so we can issue you with a new set of licences.

All licences should be marked for the attention of the 'Customer Support Team' and sent to:

London Taxi and Private Hire
PO Box 177
Sheffield S98 1JY

Lost or stolen taxi driver licence identifiers

If your identifiers have been lost or stolen, you must notify us immediately. We will arrange for a replacement set to be issued to you as soon as possible.

You can contact us on 0343 222 4444 (TfL call charges).

Private hire operators

Your operator's licence lasts for five years. You need to apply for a new licence before your current one runs out.

We'll automatically send you a re-licensing pack about four months before your licence runs out. Some parts will already be filled out for you.

How to renew your licence

Once you've received the form from us:

  • Check the details and change any that are wrong
  • Sign the declarations
  • Make sure you send in both the application and licence issue fees with your form
  • Return your old licence to us within seven days of it expiring

Receiving your new licence

We'll send you a new licence shortly before your current one runs out, as long as there are no problems with your application.

Licence variations

You may only accept private hire bookings at the operating centres specified on your licence. You must submit a licence variation application if you wish to:

  • Move your business to a new operating centre. We refer to this as you wanting to 'change' your existing operating centre to a new one.
  • Trade from an additional operating centre. We refer to this as you wanting to 'add' a new operating centre to your licence.
  • Stop trading from one, but not all, of the operating centres on your licence. We refer to this as you wanting to 'remove' an operating centre from your licence.

New centres will need to be inspected and approved by this office before they will be added to your licence.

To apply to vary your licence, you need to submit:

  • The correct fee (pay by credit or debit card)
  • A completed PHV/106 variation application form

You can obtain a PHV/106 variation application by contacting us on 0343 222 4444 and requesting a PHV/106 form. Some parts will already be filled out for you.

Variation fees

Change an operating centre fee £300 
Remove an operating centre fee£50
Add an operating fee£300

Your completed PHV/106 form and payment will need to be returned to:

London Taxi and Private Hire
PO Box 177
Sheffield S98 1JY

Premises and planning permission

You must provide:

  • Proof of planning permission or a certificate of lawful use for your proposed premises from your local authority. Where planning permission isn't required, you must provide written confirmation (email or letter) from the local authority. The document must be clearly linked to the address of the proposed premises. Any breach of planning legislation could lead your council to take enforcement action against you
  • If the operating centre's primary use is for another business, you'll need to provide further information about the operating centre
  • A fixed landline telephone number for bookings. You could be subject to more frequent inspections and a review of your licence without a landline

Changing details in relation to your licence

You should notify us about any changes you intend to make to your operator licence. This includes:

  • Changes to the type of services you will be offering to customers, the way you intend to take your bookings and/or any other facilities you are looking to offer
  • Changes to any of the people who are currently associated with the licence, i.e. if you want to add new, or remove existing, people from the licence. This would be in relation to the nominated representative for the licence, directors or partners
  • Telling us if you no longer wish to be a licensed operator

Where you need to add new people to the licence, each new person will need to obtain and complete a PHV/103 Personal Declaration form. This form can be requested from us and must be returned to us so it can assessed before anyone new can be associated with your licence.

You can contact us on 0343 222 4444 to advise of any changes needing to be made and to request any appropriate form for completion.

Driver dismissal

If you have to dismiss a driver because of his or her unsatisfactory conduct in connection with the driving of a PHV you must, as a condition of your licence, notify TfL in writing of the name of the driver and the circumstances of the case within 14 days of dismissing the driver. LTPH form PHV/105 is available for this purpose.

Please send the completed form to:

London Taxi and Private Hire
Licensing Support
230 Blackfriars Road
London SE1 8PJ
Email: tphlicensingsupport@tfl.gov.uk

    Idling engines

    Idling engines contribute to air pollution problems in London. Running the engine while your vehicle is stationary pollutes the environment and is illegal on a public road.

    When you keep a vehicle's engine idling it can produce nearly twice as much exhaust emissions as it does while moving. This affects the quality of our air.

    Engine idling and the law

    It is illegal to leave your engine running when stationary and you could also risk a fixed penalty notice, under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002.

    It is not illegal to have an idling vehicle engine if you are:

    • Waiting at traffic lights
    • Moving slowly through congestion
    • Getting a repair or defrosting a windscreen

    Our compliance officers regularly advise drivers of idling taxi or private hire vehicles to move on or switch off their engine.

    What to do

    • If stationary and waiting more than a couple of minutes for a customer, switch your engine off to avoid idling
    • Restarting an engine causes less pollution and uses less fuel than keeping the engine idling. Modern batteries don't need as much engine time to remain charged
    • Avoid an idling engine and you'll help to lower air pollution, improve air quality and save yourself money on fuel
    • Our parking information page has more details about where taxi and private hire drivers can wait for customers

    Public toilet information

    It can be difficult to know where to find public toilet facilities when you're driving. Get more information about where public toilets are in the key areas of London, including Heathrow and City airports.

    Close Favourites

    My Lines

    My Buses

    My Roads

    My River Buses

    My Emirates Air Line

    My Journeys

    My Places

      Close edit Favourites

      Favourite lines

      Favourite buses

      Favourite roads

      Favourite river buses

      Favourite Emirates Air Line

      Favourite journeys

      Favourite places