Taxis (black cabs) need to have a taxi vehicle licence from us before they can be used as a working taxi.
If you are not already a licensed taxi driver, to become the licence holder for one or more taxis , you must prove you are a fit and proper person.
Vehicle licence criteria
In order to apply for a licence the vehicle must meet the following criteria:
- All new vehicles or vehicles new to licensing must as a minimum meet the Euro 6 standards for emissions at time of licensing - from 1 January 2018 all taxis presented for licensing for the first time must be zero emissions capable
- Vehicles already licensed by us must be no older than 15 years at time of licensing
- The vehicle must meet the design standards set out in our conditions of fitness document. Please read "Taxi - conditions of fitness", which can be found on our policy page.
- All taxis must have a taxi meter. For further details please see our document "Taximeter specification" on our policy page.
- All taxis must have the facility to accept card and contactless payments via an approved fixed card payment device installed in the passenger compartment, which must be capable of producing a printed receipt on demand
Booking your taxi vehicle inspection
You must make a booking to have your vehicle inspected. You will need
the following original documents as they need to be presented when you
take your vehicle in for inspection:
- Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5) or new keeper supplement slip. Or if recently purchased, a bill of sale and V5C/2 is required
Certificate of insurance
(must be displayed in the vehicle)
- The existing motor cab licence including plates (if applicable)
- Emission equipment - fitment sign off declaration where applicable
- Vehicle Excise Licence (road tax)
- Certificate of Taximeter Installation issued within 30 days of licensing inspection
- Any relevant document relating to the vehicle as appropriate, including any modification certificate and information relating to chassis/body replacement if applicable
- An MOT certificate issued within the last 14 days
Fees for vehicle inspections
Vehicle licences are issued for a period of 12 months.
||£66 (non refundable)
|Grant of licence fee
If you need to get your vehicle re-tested, you can do that free at one of our centres within 28 days.
If you are ready to book your taxi in for an inspection, you can:
Call the number above if the taxi fails the
first inspection and re-inspection and you would like to request a partial refund of the licence fee.
To comply with air quality standards, all taxis must be within a certain age limit to be licensed. However, a limited number of exemptions are possible that allow certain vehicles to be licensed for an additional period. Find out more about the exemptions:
Age limit exemption forms