Apply for a private hire vehicle licence
The private hire regulations have changed. You should familiarise yourself with the changes before submitting your application.
See our guidance for more information:
From 1 January 2023 all PHVs licensed for the first time must be zero emission capable (ZEC) and meet the Euro 6 emissions standard.
Please note that PHVs which are fully electric or have a hydrogen fuel cell will meet the new licensing requirements.
Book a vehicle inspection
You can now book your vehicle inspection online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This is often the quickest and most convenient option if you are the owner or registered keeper of a single vehicle.
You can book an appointment at a date, time and location to suit you. This function also allows you to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
To use this service please visit our customer account page.
- If you have applied or renewed your driver licence online, you will have an online account already set up. Please log in to your account and your vehicle licence will already be listed under the vehicle or licences tab. You do not need to create another account
- If you cannot see your vehicle licence through your online account please call 0343 222 5555
- If you do not already have an existing online account you can create one by going to our account page. You will be required to provide unique information regarding your vehicle licence which can be found on your renewal letter
Please note applicants will only ever be asked to pay the cost of an application, see table below for fees. We do not offer a fast-track service and will never charge more than the advertised costs.
If you have been approached by a third-party offering a fast-track service at an additional cost, this is fraudulent and you can report it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When attending a vehicle inspection centre, you will need to bring the following original documents (these should be printed where necessary as electronic copies are not accepted) as they need to be presented at inspection:
- Existing TfL vehicle licence and discs (if applicable)
- V5C DVLA vehicle registration document
- Hire and reward insurance documents
- MOT certificate issued within the last 14 days
- Vehicle modification documents
- Any other relevant documentation relating to the vehicle, where appropriate, such as Voluntary Individual Vehicle Approval (VIVA)
- Certificate of conformity (if required)
Retests and Refunds
- If you would like to book a retest (within 28 days (for taxi) or within 21 days (for PHV) of the first inspection) you can do so by calling 0343 222 5555
- If you would like to request a partial refund you can call 0343 222 5555
You can also book your vehicle inspection by calling 0343 222 5555 (TfL call charges apply).
|Application fee||£84 (non-refundable)|
|Grant of licence fee
Aftermarket vehicle modifications
There is an approvals process in place that must be followed for any aftermarket modification carried out to a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle. Therefore, prior approval is required from the vehicle policy manager before modifications are carried out. This is to ensure the modification is legal, safe and/or appropriate, avoiding any unnecessary expenditure and possible delays in the vehicle licensing process.
In general terms, all vehicles licensed should remain as per manufacturer specification, however, we will consider modifications where they are deemed necessary, such as disability and driver/passenger safety.
The licensing criteria in relation to aftermarket tinting of the glazing for taxi and private hire vehicles is:
Taxi = 25% tint value (all glazing)
PHV = 25% front windscreen; 30% front side windows
The tint value for taxis is laid out in paragraph 18.3 of the Conditions of Fitness (CoF) and states the maximum value of tint permitted to be applied to the glazing on a licenced London taxi is 25%.
The manufacturer's tint value should be taken into account if additional tint is being considered, as the overall tint value should not exceed the total tint value permitted.
The tint applied should also allow clear view into the driver compartment at all times, therefore, the use of "chameleon" tint type products is not permitted.
To comply with air quality standards, all taxis and PHVs must be within certain age limits to be licensed. However, a few exemptions mean some vehicles can be licensed for an additional period. Any application for an exemption must be submitted within the respective age limits (i.e. if the vehicle is older than the age limit, it will not be possible to make an application for exemption). Find out more about the exemptions:
Displaying front and rear licence discs
All PHVs must display their vehicle licence discs. An exemption from displaying the discs may be applied if we feel it is appropriate to do so. We will consider:
- Any exceptional circumstances
- The nature of the work to be carried out
- The security of the passengers
Displaying rear licence disc only
Exemptions will only be granted if you can prove that displaying the rear licence disc is not possible due to the design of the vehicle eg the vehicle has no rear window.
Exemption from the right hand drive requirements
All PHVs must be right-hand drive vehicles. An exemption from this requirement can be applied if you can prove that the right-hand drive requirement is not possible due to the services and type of vehicle being used. The following will be considered:
- Details of the vehicle and why you have chosen to licence it as a private hire vehicle
- Details of your business and the service offered
- Details as to why other vehicles with right-hand steering could not provide the same service
You can apply for any of the above exemptions by completing and sending us an application form and any supporting evidence as required.
Taxi and private hire vehicle policy
Policies, advice and guidance on licensing taxi and private hire vehicles in London
Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Policy - December 2021