The majority of the 20,000 taxi vehicles currently licensed are owned and driven by individual licensed drivers.
However, a significant number are owned and maintained by individuals
and companies. They rent them out to licensed taxi drivers who do not
own a vehicle.
In order to become an approved London taxi proprietor you must meet be aged 21 or over.
When an individual or company applies to become a proprietor, we will take the following into consideration:
a. An applicant's criminal record via a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
b. Any offences under taxi legislation
c. Any previous history as a proprietor
d. Whether the taxi itself is fit for purpose
As a proprietor you are responsible for:
- Maintaining the mechanics and fabric of your taxis to the standard we require
- Making the vehicles available for inspection by our taxi and private hire officers
- Keeping records of drivers using your taxis
- Returning expired licence plates to us
The application process
There is no application fee to become a proprietor, other than the cost of completing a criminal records check.
To apply, follow these steps:
- Apply for a standard DBS check through our service provider GBGroup, unless you can confirm you are not required to submit one.
- As soon as you have your DBS reference number to become a proprietor, please call us on 0343 222 4444 or email us at email@example.com to request an application
- We will contact you once your application has been approved. You are then ready to apply to have your taxi(s) licensed.