Information for fleet owners
However, a significant number are owned and maintained by individuals and companies. They rent them out to licensed taxi drivers who do not own a vehicle.
In order to become an approved London taxi proprietor you must meet be aged 21 or over.
When an individual or company applies to become a proprietor, we will take the following into consideration:
a. An applicant's criminal record via a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
b. Any offences under taxi legislation
c. Any previous history as a proprietor
d. Whether the taxi itself is fit for purpose
As a proprietor you are responsible for:
- Maintaining the mechanics and fabric of your taxis to the standard we require
- Making the vehicles available for inspection by our taxi and private hire officers
- Maintaining records of drivers using your taxis in accordance with privacy and data protection legislation.
- Returning expired licence plates to us
The application process
There is no application fee to become a proprietor, other than the cost of completing a criminal records check.
To apply, follow these steps:
1. Apply for a standard DBS check through our authorised service provider, unless you can confirm you are not required to submit one.
3. We will contact you once your application has been approved. You are then ready to apply to have your taxi(s) licensed.