The following figures cover the week ending Sunday 3 December 2023:
- Taxi driver licences - 17,692 a decrease of 14 on the previous week, there were 7 new licences issued
- 15,885 hold All London licences and 1,865 hold Suburban licences*
- Taxi vehicle licences - 14,690 - an increase of 29 on the previous week, there were 43 new licences issued
- Private hire driver licences - 106,124 an increase of 7 on the previous week, there were 134 new licences issued
- Private hire vehicle licences - 91,656 an increase of 179 on the previous week, there were 468 new licences issued
- Private hire operator licences - 1,712 an increase of 12 on the previous week, there were 14 new licences issued
*The All London/Suburban breakdown is collated monthly (current numbers up to date as of 12 November 2023)
Taxi and private hire licensing figures by year:
|Year||Vehicles||Drivers: All London||Drivers: Suburban||Drivers: Total|
Taxi and private hire driver postcode data
This document contains a breakdown of partial home postcode data for taxi and private hire drivers licensed in London. This data is accurate as of June 2023.
Taxi and private hire driver demographic data
This document contains a breakdown of the taxi and private hire driver demographic, including data on the gender, age and ethnicity of licensees, and of Knowledge students who have yet to be licensed. This data is accurate as of June 2023.
Taxi and private hire fleet information
The following list is updated quarterly and provides details of the licensed taxi and private hire vehicle fleets in London. Please visit our vehicle licensing page to find out more about our licensing requirements.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
DBS Update Service
Help avoid delays with your DBS and save money, by signing up to the DBS update service. You can sign up from the date you receive your application reference number to 19 days after your disclosure has been issued.
The DBS update service is an online subscription service that lets you keep your DBS certificates up to date and allows employers to check a certificate online, with your consent. It also means that you don't have to make a separate application for an Enhanced Disclosure as part of your application to renew your licence. Maintaining your yearly subscription to the service costs £13 a year, which is cheaper than applying for a new disclosure every three years. The DBS Update Service will save you time, as further applications and ID checks will only be requested when an update has been made to your disclosure.
You can register online as soon as you have your application form reference number. You can ask for the number when you apply for your DBS check. Or you can wait and register with your certificate number when you receive your DBS certificate. If so, you must do so within 19 days of the certificate being issued.
When you join, you'll get an online account that lets you:
- Take your certificate from one job to the next
- Give employers permission to check your certificate online and see who has checked it
- Add or remove a certificate
Read the detailed guidance for applicants.
Important information about DBS update service
- If you have signed up for the DBS update service you are advised to retain your original DBS certificate.
- If your certificate is lost or misplaced then you will be required to apply for a new DBS
- If you change address you will need to inform the DBS update service but you will not be required to apply for a new DBS certificate.
- If you change your name or have any new convictions, cautions or warnings then you will be required to undertake a new DBS certificate.
- If you have signed up for the service and you lose your credit/debit card or it expires, you will need to contact the DBS update service to provide your new card details. If the DBS update service is unable to debit your account when required and your subscription is stopped, then your disclosure will no longer be valid.
Taxi and private hire financial summaries
All income we receive from licence fees must, by law, be spent on the delivery of taxi and private hire licensing and compliance activities.
Find out more about how we spend our licence fees:
Taxi and private hire financial summary 2010/11 to 2014/15
Taxi and private hire financial summary 2014-2015
Taxi and private hire financial summary 2015-2016
Taxi and private hire financial summary 2016-2017
Taxi and private hire financial summary 2017-2018
Taxi and private hire financial summary 2018-2019
Taxi and private hire financial summary 2019-2020