Protecting your Oyster and contactless accounts
To improve the existing security measures for your account, we'll introduce multi-factor authentication in early 2023.
Check back here later for more information. In the meantime, see how you can get ready for the upcoming changes:
What you can do
- Download the latest versions of the TfL Oyster and contactless app and web browsers on your devices
- Use a secure, strong password made up of different characters and numbers ensuring it doesn't include any personal information
- Use separate passwords for your accounts
- Never disclose your passwords to anyone else. If you think someone else knows your password, change it immediately
If you don't remember the sign in details of your TfL account, select the 'Forgot your password?' link when trying to sign in.
Details of the change
Signing in and out
Sign in as you do now by entering your email address and password to access your account.
Make sure you sign in to your:
Update any saved bookmarks or favourites to ensure you're using the correct links to access your account.
Sign out as you do now by selecting 'Sign out'.
For a short time, if you're signed in to both Oyster and Contactless, you will need to sign out of both accounts. Signing out of one account will not sign you out of the other.
While we're putting the new security improvements in place, we'll continue to ask for an hCaptcha check when you sign in. This is to ensure that your account stays secure until multi-factor authentication is launched in early 2023.
Updating personal details
You can update your personal details at any time by selecting 'Personal details' on the homepage. For a short time you will need to sign in again to view and update your personal details.
Adding cards to your account
You can add an Oyster card as you do now on the app or website. Once signed in:
- App: Select the plus (+) sign on the top right of the screen, then select 'Oyster' and follow the onscreen instructions
- Website: Select 'Add an existing card' and follow the onscreen instructions
- App: For a short time you will be unable to add a contactless card to your account via the TfL Oyster app. To add a contactless card, sign in to your Contactless account on the website and select 'Add an existing card' and follow the onscreen instructions
- Website: You can add a contactless card as you do now. Once signed in select 'Add a new contactless payment card' and follow the onscreen instructions
If you've forgotten your password you can reset it as you do now:
- App: Click 'reset password' before signing in to change your password. Enter your email address so that the reset password instructions can be sent to you
- Website: Click 'forgot password' before signing in to change your password. Enter your email address so that the reset password instructions can be sent to you
Forgotten email address or error message
Contact TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges)
- Contactless: 08:00-20:00 Monday to Friday (09:00-17:30 Saturday to Sunday)
- Oyster: 08:00-20:00 Monday to Sunday