Protecting your Oyster and contactless accounts
To strengthen the existing security measures for your account, we'll introduce multi-factor authentication in early 2023.
Details of the change
Multi-factor authentication (MFA)
- MFA is an additional layer of security to the sign in process. It helps to confirm you are who you say you are when signing into your TfL account
- It's being introduced to provide extra security for your personal information
- As part of this update, we have redesigned parts of our website. Some screens will look a little different
Ensure you are ready
- Download the latest versions of the TfL Oyster and contactless app and web browsers on your devices
- Use a secure, strong password made up of different characters and numbers ensuring it doesn't include any personal information
- Use separate passwords for your accounts
- Remember to sign out of your account, especially if using a shared or public device
What you need to do
- You will need access to a mobile phone for MFA. This is because you will be sent a text with a unique code to verify you own the account you are trying to sign in to
- You will need to use MFA to sign in to your Oyster or contactless account online or on the TfL Oyster and contactless app
- After the update you will be prompted to set up MFA when you next sign in. You will be asked to enter a mobile phone number, then we will send a 6-digit code to your mobile device. Enter the code to confirm you are the account owner
- You will need to enter a code using your phone every time you sign in. You may be asked to authenticate again when accessing personal information
Make sure you sign in to your:
Update any saved bookmarks or favourites to ensure you're using the correct links to access your account.
Updating personal details
You will be able to update your personal details and mobile number as you do today:
- Personal details: select 'Personal details' in the menu on the right-hand side of the screen. The Personal details webpage has been updated
- Mobile number: you will need to verify your old mobile number to change to your new mobile number. Make sure you can receive text messages on your old number first
If you've forgotten your password you can reset it as you do now:
- App: Click 'reset password' before signing in to change your password. Enter your email address so that the reset password instructions can be sent to you
- Website: Click 'forgot password' before signing in to change your password. Enter your email address so that the reset password instructions can be sent to you
Forgotten email address
Contact TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges)
- Contactless: 08:00-20:00 Monday to Friday (09:00-17:30 Saturday to Sunday)
- Oyster: 08:00-20:00 Monday to Sunday
If you receive an error message and can't sign in, try closing your browser. If that doesn't work, try again later.
Access from outside of the UK and Europe
Protecting our customers' data is paramount and we want to ensure personal accounts remain safe. As part of this ongoing work, Oyster and contactless online accounts can only be accessed within Europe.
Customers from outside Europe can continue to contact TfL Customer Services for help. In London you will still be able to travel using an Oyster or contactless card, as well as top up the cards at a ticket machine or an Oyster Ticket Stop.