These terms and conditions cover contactless and Oyster online, auto top-up, Oyster and web credits.
Sign in details
You are responsible for maintaining the
confidentiality of your contactless and Oyster online username and password ("Login Details")
and for restricting access to your computer to prevent unauthorised access to
your contactless and Oyster account. You must keep your Login Details secret and take all
reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised or fraudulent use of them. You
must not disclose your Login Details to any other person or record your Login
Details in any way that may result in them becoming known to another person. You
agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your Oyster
online account. You should inform us immediately if you have any reason to
believe that your Login Details have become known to anyone else, or if the
Login Details are being, or are likely to be, used in an unauthorised manner.
Auto top-up terms and
Section 1 - Introduction
- In these terms and conditions 'we' and 'us' means Transport for London (TfL) and 'you' means you the customer.
- We may revise or amend these terms and conditions at any time. These terms and conditions apply to the contract between you and us.
- These terms and conditions apply to you if you have set up an Auto top-up instruction and a Recurring Payment Authority via your contactless and Oyster account.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you are familiar with these terms and conditions and that you adhere to them
- Use of pay as you go credit is subject to TfL's Conditions of Carriage. For more information visit tfl.gov.uk/terms
- We will contact you with updates about your Auto top-up instruction and Recurring Payment Authority using the email address given in your contactless and Oyster account.
- It is your responsibility to regularly check for email notifications from us and to ensure that emails from TfL are not sent to a junk mail folder.
- It is your responsibility to update your contact and credit/debit card details through your contactless and Oyster account.
- You must notify us if you are unable to access your contactless and Oyster account to make any changes to your contact details, including a change of email address or telephone number.
- Nothing in these terms and conditions affects your statutory rights.
- We reserve the right to suspend, withdraw, amend, or terminate operation of the Auto top-up process and Recurring Payment Authority at any time and we will use all reasonable endeavours to provide prior notification to you of such events.
Section 2 - Special meanings
We have tried to make the wording of these conditions as clear as possible. To help you, we have given certain words and phrases the special meanings shown below.
When your pay as you go balance falls/goes below £10 and you touch your Oyster card on a yellow card reader to make a journey, your Oyster card is automatically topped up with either £20 or £40. After your Oyster card has been automatically topped up, we will collect payment from the debit/credit card assigned for Auto top-up payments.
Recurring Payment Authority
An arrangement you enter into with us and your bank where you give us permission to take Auto top-up payments from your debit/credit card on an ad hoc basis. Such payments are only to add pay as you go credit to your Oyster card.
The debit/credit card you use to pay and set up the Recurring Payment Authority.
When we are unable to obtain authorisation from your bank for your payment or there is a system failure.
When you clear outstanding failed payment(s).
Section 3 - Setting up Auto top-up and a Recurring Payment Authority instruction
We are unable to obtain authorisation from your bank for your payment
- We use an encrypted secure payment mechanism, to ensure your debit/credit card details are safe.
- We only accept payment for orders in pounds (£) sterling.
- We only accept payment for orders by American Express, Maestro, MasterCard, Visa and Visa Electron and Solo.
- Your debit/credit card must be registered to a UK address.
- All credit/debit card payments are subject to authorisation by your credit/debit card issuer.
- Payments will show up on your bank statement as 'OYSTER AUTOTOPUP'.
- Non-acceptance of your Recurring Payment Authority may be due to one of the following reasons (although others are possible):
There is a system failure
8. We will send you an email notification within 48 hours each time a payment is taken from your account following an Auto top-up.
9. We will send you an email notification within 48 hours if a payment has failed.
10. We will send you an email notification when your credit/debit card is within one month of its expiry date.
11. If you do not update your credit/debit card details you risk a failed payment and your Oyster card will be stopped.
Section 4 - Activating your auto-top instruction and Recurring Payment Authority
Once you have completed the Recurring Payment Authority and paid for money to be added to your Oyster card, an activation instruction will be sent to your nominated station the following day (or in the case of applications made after 11pm, two days later).
- You must take your Oyster card to your nominated station for activation within eight days of making your purchase. Until this is done, your Auto top-up instruction and Recurring Payment Authority does not become live.
- To activate your Auto top-up instruction, as part of a journey, touch your Oyster card on a yellow card reader at the station or tram stop you nominated within eight days
- If you do not activate your Auto top-up instruction within eight days, you will need to re-apply.
- If you have ordered a new Oyster card it will arrive with the activation instruction already active.
- If your Oyster card is lost or stolen, your Oyster card (including any associated Recurring Payment Authority) will continue to operate as normal until you report it lost or stolen. You should therefore report any loss or theft as soon as possible.
- You can report your Oyster card lost or stolen online at tfl.gov/oyster or by calling TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234. We shall then stop your Oyster card and the Recurring Payment Authority.
- If your Oyster card is lost or stolen and not reported and an Auto top-up instruction is applied to the Oyster card, you will be liable for the payment.
- Any pay as you go credit resulting from Auto top-up applied once the Oyster card has been reported lost or stolen will be refunded or replaced.
Section 5 - How to cancel
You may cancel, amend or update your Recurring Payment Authority at any time online or by calling TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234. Your cancellation, amendment or update request will not become effective until you have taken your Oyster card to your nominated station for activation, which you must do within eight days of submitting your request.
- If you amend or cancel an Auto top-up instruction and Recurring Payment Authority before 11pm, your nominated location will be ready to re-configure your Oyster card from the following day. Otherwise, it will be ready two days later.
- If you do not do so within eight days, your request will expire and you will need to re-submit your original request online or by calling TfL Customer Services. Until you update your Oyster card, your original Recurring Payment Authority will remain in place and you will continue to be liable for any Auto top-ups made to your Oyster card.
Section 6 - Failed payments and re-settlement
If your bank rejects a payment requested on the basis of your Recurring Payment Authority, we will attempt to email you within 24 hours.
- If you do not correct the failed payment within two days of us contacting you we may stop your Oyster card and the Recurring Payment Authority.
- You cannot use your web account credit balance to re-settle any failed Auto top-up payments.
Section 7 - Our liability
We are responsible to you only for loss or damage you suffer which is a foreseeable direct result of a breach on our part of our duties of reasonable care and skill in respect of the Auto top-up process. (This does not exclude any liability which would otherwise exist in respect of personal injury or death resulting from our negligence.
Transport for London (TfL), its subsidiaries and service providers will use the information supplied in your contactless and Oyster account to administer the Recurring Payment Authority that you have authorised.
Find out more about how TfL uses your personal information at https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/privacy-and-cookies/oyster-card
TTL reserves the right to make future promotional
offers from time to time on such terms as it may in its discretion
Oyster terms and conditions
Oyster online is part of www.tfl.gov.uk/oyster. A ticket reported
as lost in the post will be dealt with as follows:
- Where the ticket has been sent by First Class
post, every effort will be made to stop the original ticket and Oyster card. A
new ticket and Oyster card will then be issued and sent to the customer by First
Class post, or the customer may request a refund of the original price paid
- Where the ticket has been sent by Registered
Delivery, TfL will investigate the claim with the Delivery Service within 24
hours of notification of non-receipt
- If there is no proof that the original ticket was
delivered to the customer, every effort will be made to stop the original ticket
and Oyster card. A new ticket and Oyster card will then be issued and sent to
the customer by Registered Delivery, at no cost to the customer. Alternatively
the customer may request a refund of the original price paid, to include the
cost of Registered Delivery
If there is proof that the ticket was delivered to
the customer they will be advised that the facts are being referred to TfL's
Oyster cards Ticketing & Refunds for investigation. This does not affect
your statutory rights
- TfL and its agency reserve the right to refuse the
sale of a ticket
- TfL is currently undertaking research into a range
of promotions that may be offered in conjunction with Oyster online. Customers
will be asked to indicate whether they wish to be informed of these offers when
they become available, or to receive any other communications from TfL
- All tickets bought through Oyster online are
subject to TfL's Conditions of Carriage, the Conditions listed above and the
Terms as contained in the Oyster online information leaflet supplied with the
first issued Oyster card.In the event of conflict, the Conditions listed here
and in the Oyster online shop information leaflet will prevail
- If you have set up a contactless and Oyster account,
you can choose to have certain types of refund (see item 3 below) or goodwill
payments credited to your contactless and Oyster account. Any balance accrued will be used as
part or full payment for the next Oyster product you buy online.
- You can view an itemised statement of your web
account credits, along with your current credit balance, by logging into your
contactless and Oyster account.
- TfL reserves the right to determine which types of
refund can be paid in the form of a web account credit, and this may vary from
time to time. You will be offered the choice of this method of payment whenever
it is available. The total balance of any credits paid in respect of such
refunds will be shown on your web account statement as a 'Cash' balance.
- TfL reserves the right to pay valid London
Underground customer charter claims in the form of web account credits. The
total balance of any credits paid in respect of the customer charter will be
shown separately on your web account statement as a 'Voucher' balance, and
certain restrictions will apply as to how this balance can be used and/or
redeemed (see items 8 and 9 below).
- Your credit balance cannot be used for Auto
top-up, which can only be paid for by debit or credit card.
- If you submit an online order (excluding Auto
top-up) and your total credit balance exceeds the total value of your order,
your credit balance will be reduced by the value of your order, and no further
payment will be due. If you have both 'Cash' and 'Voucher' credit balances, the
'Voucher' balance will be used first.
- If you submit an online order (excluding Auto
top-up) and your total credit balance is less than the total value of your
order, your credit balance will automatically be used and reduced to £0.00, and
the remainder of the order value will be payable by debit or credit card, in
line with Oyster online's general Terms and Conditions
- If you order a new Oyster card online and opt for
a chargeable delivery service (eg, special delivery, recorded delivery, etc),
only credit from the 'Cash' balance will be offset against the delivery charge.
Credit from the 'Voucher' balance will only be offset against the cost of
tickets or where you wish to add money to your Oyster card to pay as you go.
- You may redeem your web account balance at any
time. In this event, we will send you a cheque for the value of the 'cash'
balance at the point of redemption. Only the entire 'cash' balance may be
redeemed; there is no provision for the part-redemption of this balance.
- No interest will be paid to you on the credit
balance held on your web account.
In the event of your death occurring while your account is in credit, TfL will apply its normal refund policy applicable to
deceased ticket holders, as defined in the Conditions of carriage.
Zip Oyster photocards
Adult discounts and concessions
Sign in details
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your online username and password (sign in details) for your contactless and Oyster account and for restricting access to your computer to prevent unauthorised access to this account. You must keep your sign in details secret and take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised or fraudulent use of them. You must not disclose your sign in details to any other person or record them in any way that may result in them becoming known to another person. You agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your contactless and Oyster account. You should inform us immediately if you have any reason to believe that your sign in details have become known to anyone else, or are being, or are likely to be, used in an unauthorised manner.
Adding a contactless payment card to your contactless and Oyster account
To add a contactless payment card to your contactless and Oyster account you will need to provide your contactless payment card number, the expiry date, the card security code and the card's billing address.
7 days payment and journey history
If you do not want to add your contactless payment card to a contactless and Oyster account, you may see 7 days of payment and journey history on the TfL website for your contactless payment card. You must provide your contactless payment card number, the expiry date, the card security code and the card's billing address each time you do this.