Highway licences

Local authorities can issue licences for other items including pavement cafés and seating areas, but only with our consent.

The standard conditions are generic to any application. Conditions specific to particular activities are detailed in the relevant application form.

  • Fees are chargeable for some types of applications
  • Processing time is typically four weeks - longer if road closures are required

Local authority consents

For consideration of consents for basement openings, flag poles, pavement café seating areas, street trading and/or refuse storage bins, you should first contact the relevant local authority, who will then consult with us.

Road closures

If any consent involves a road closure (to accommodate a crane lift, for example) then we can arrange for temporary road closures as part of the process. There are statutory procedures which must be followed, with advertising costs of £2,050 to £7,000 (depending on location).

Processing time is six to eight weeks for partial road closures and 10-12 weeks for full road closures.

Application forms

As the highway authority for the red routes, we license these applications.

Privacy notice

TfL, its subsidiaries and service providers will use your personal information for the purposes of administering your highway licence application, including where relevant, issuing an invoice and processing any payment. We will retain your information after the issue of the licence for the purposes of managing any correspondence, ensuring compliance with the licence terms and establishing and defending legal rights.

On some occasions, we may need to share your information with associated organisations or their agents for these purposes. Your personal information will be properly safeguarded and processed in accordance with the requirements of privacy and data protection legislation. To find out more about how TfL handles personal data see our privacy and cookies pages.

Highway licence policies

These three documents outline our policies for considering highway licence applications:

Street works

If you need a licence to do street works such as installing and maintaining utility services, you'll need to apply for a section 50 licence under the New road and Street Works Act 1991.