Vehicles included are:

  • Lorries
  • Buses and coaches (more than 8 passenger seats, over 5 tonnes gross vehicle weight)
  • Motorised horse boxes (over 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight)
  • Breakdown and recovery vehicles
  • Snow ploughs
  • Gritters
  • Refuse collection vehicles
  • Road sweepers
  • Concrete mixers
  • Fire engines
  • Tippers
  • Removals lorries (over 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight)

Minimum emission standards

For a lorry, van or specialist heavy vehicle over 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW), or a bus/minibus or coach weighing over 5 tonnes GVW, the minimum emissions standard is Euro VI (NOx and PM).

The ULEZ will be enforced based on the manufacturer declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age - but Euro VI engines are generally those registered with the DVLA after 2014.

New emissions standards for the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) are now in place, bringing them in line with the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) Euro VI emissions standards. As a result, you no longer need to pay a separate ULEZ charge.

ULEZ expansion

From 25 October 2021, ULEZ is expanding from central London to create a single, larger zone up to the North Circular Road (A406) and South Circular Road (A205). The North and South Circular Roads themselves are not in the zone. Find out how to prepare for the ULEZ expansion.

Your options

If your vehicle does not meet the required ULEZ standards you can:

Pay the daily charge

Fit emissions reduction technology

The ULEZ (and LEZ) schemes allow for some vehicles to retrofit emissions reduction technology to meet the standards.

Retrofit technologies need to be certified by the government's Clean Vehicle Retrofit Accreditation Scheme (CVRAS). The CVRAS currently only has emissions reduction technologies certified for buses, coaches and refuse vehicles, although equipment suppliers can test and certify equipment.

Any HGV, bus, coach or refuse vehicle with emissions reduction technology fitted needs to have this certified by the CVRAS. Once certified, the owner should notify TfL directly.

More details on the retrofit accreditation process and suppliers are available on the Energy Savings Trust website.

HGV Safety Permit

If you drive an HGV over 12 tonnes gross vehicle weight in Greater London at any time you will need to apply for an HGV Safety Permit. A penalty charge notice will be issued to vehicles without a permit.

Applying for a permit is free of charge. Find out more about the Direct Vision Standard (DVS) for HGVs.

Questions about ULEZ?

If you need more advice about the ULEZ, you can make an enquiry.