If none of these apply to you, you can also explore ways to meet the standard.


This discount is temporarily closed to new applicants.

  • Residents who are registered for the residents' Congestion Charge discount will be granted a time-limited grace period where a 100% discount from the ULEZ will apply to their vehicles. This will give them more time to change their vehicle to meet the ULEZ standards
  • The discount will be available to those who live within the Congestion Charge zone and in designated areas next to the boundary where the Congestion Charge residents' discount applies. The grace period applies until 24 October 2021
  • This discount will only apply while they live within the zone and are registered with us
  • Residents using a vehicle that doesn't meet the T-Charge emissions standards will continue to pay the T-Charge, at a discounted rate of 90%, during the ULEZ resident grace period
  • Motorbikes and mopeds are exempt from both the Congestion Charge and T-Charge. Customers living in the ULEZ and Congestion Charge zone, that have an active Residents' Congestion Charge discount, will continue to receive a 100% discount from the ULEZ charge until 24 October 2021. This discount is temporarily closed to new applicants.
  • From 25 October 2021, when the ULEZ expands to the North and South Circular Roads, residents must pay the full daily ULEZ charge to drive a vehicle in the zone if it does not meet the ULEZ standards

Vehicles for disabled people

  • Keepers of vehicles registered with a 'disabled' or 'disabled passenger vehicles' tax class will benefit from a grace period after the ULEZ starts. They'll be exempt from the ULEZ charge until 26 October 2025 as long as their vehicle doesn't change tax class. (Vehicles operated by or on behalf of TfL will not benefit from this grace period.) Read the eligibility criteria for the disabled tax class exemption on Gov.uk
  • If your UK-registered vehicle is in this category, you don't need to register with us to get the exemption. If your 'disabled' vehicle is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt from ULEZ during the grace period, but will need to register with us.
  • Blue Badge holders need to pay the charge unless their vehicle meets the ULEZ emission standards or is registered with the DVLA with a 'disabled' or 'disabled passenger vehicle' tax class
  • From 27 October 2025 vehicles with 'disabled' or 'disabled passenger vehicles' tax class that do not meet the ULEZ emission standards will be liable for the daily ULEZ charge


London-licensed taxis are exempt from ULEZ charges. They are currently subject to a 15-year age limit - we are currently reviewing proposals to reduce this to 12 years.

All newly licensed taxis must be zero emission capable (ZEC) vehicles. Find out more about how we plan to have the cleanest taxi fleet in the world.

Private hire vehicles (PHVs)

PHV's that do not meet the emissions standards and are not wheelchair-accessible must pay the full ULEZ charge to drive within the zone.

Designated wheelchair-accessible PHVs will be granted a grace period until 26 October 2025 - during this period designated wheelchair-accessible PHVs used to carry out a private hire booking will be exempt from the ULEZ daily charge.

These vehicles will only be exempt when carrying out a private hire booking for a TfL-licensed PHV operator. At all other times PHV owners will have to pay the charge if their designated wheelchair-accessible PHV does not meet the emissions standards and is not in the disabled or disabled passenger vehicle tax class.

See a list of designated wheelchair-accessible PHVs licensed by TfL on the Passengers and accessibility page.

If you feel that your vehicle should be on the list please email tph.enquiries@tfl.gov.uk.

Historic vehicles

You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago. This date moves forward on a 40-year rolling system. For example, when the ULEZ launched in April 2019, vehicles built before 1979 were eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class.

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).

In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise.

If your vehicle meets the above criteria but is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt, but will need to register with us before travelling in the zone.

Other exempt vehicles

A small number of vehicle types currently exempt from the LEZ are also exempt from the ULEZ charge. These include:

  • Specialist agricultural vehicles
  • Military vehicles
  • Non-road going vehicles which are allowed to drive on the highway (for example, excavators)
  • Certain types of mobile cranes

If your vehicle meets any of the above criteria and is registered in the UK, it is automatically exempt and you don't need to register with us. If your vehicle meets any of the above criteria but is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt, but will need to register with us. Check if you need to register.

Discount for showman's vehicles

Some showman's vehicles are eligible for a 100% discount from the ULEZ daily charge if they are registered to a person following the business of a travelling showman and have been modified or specially constructed. Trailers and semi-trailers which have been modified or specially constructed are not eligible for the 100% discount.

For a vehicle to be eligible for the discount, modifications or special constructions for the purpose of the show must be either:

  • Used during the performance, or
  • Used for the purpose of providing the performance, or
  • Used for carrying performance equipment, or
  • Used for displaying animals to the public, or
  • Below the chassis level, such that it isn't possible to fit emission abatement equipment

If your vehicle meets the above criteria, you need to register with us to qualify for the discount. (Vehicles that are already registered with TfL for a LEZ showman's discount do not need to be registered again for ULEZ). This applies to both UK and non-UK vehicles.

If you receive any other discounts or exemptions for the Congestion Charge you still need to pay the ULEZ charge if you drive within the zone in a vehicle that does not meet the ULEZ standards.

Minibuses used for community transport

Many not-for-profit organisations that operate minibuses used for community transport in the ULEZ, can register for a limited time period where their vehicle will not to be charged.

The Mayor of London recognises that expanding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), will impact minibuses that are used for community transport. These are minibuses that carry passengers on a not-for-profit basis. For example, for educational, religious, social welfare or other activities that benefit the community.

The grace period where you will not be charged will be from 25 October 2021 when the ULEZ is expanded, to the 29 October 2023. Before and after those dates all minibuses will need to meet the ULEZ emissions standards or pay the daily ULEZ charge.

You can register your minibus now.

Check if your organisation is eligible

To apply, your organisation must be a:

  • Charity
  • School (excluding private schools)
  • Further Education institution getting funding from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (excluding Higher Education institutions who get this funding)
  • 16 to 19 Academy
  • Local authority
  • Other not-for-profit organisation

Check if your vehicle is eligible

The vehicle must meet these conditions:

  • Able to carry more than 8 but no more than 16 passengers and weigh 5 tonnes or less (gross vehicle weight)
  • Owned, leased or hired by a not-for-profit organisation, and used mainly for community transport
  • Owned, leased or hired on or before 8 June 2018, and continually since then
  • Does not already meet the ULEZ standards

Documents you will need

To apply you need to download the application form, fill it in, sign it and upload. You will also need to upload copies of the required documents listed in the form.