Direct Vision Standard and HGV Safety Permit

We continue to work with vehicle manufacturers to assign star ratings for their vehicles. Check to see if we hold your star rating and apply. Find information and guidance about the application process.

Enforcement to start in 2021 

Enforcement will be introduced from 1 March 2021. 

This was postponed to give affected businesses more time to meet the new standards as they face intense demands from the coronavirus pandemic.

Grace period

We are also introducing a 90-day grace period to support operators who have ordered Safe System components ahead of the 1 March enforcement start date and are now experiencing delays in supply and fitting.

To benefit from the grace period, please submit evidence from the fitter/garage on branded documentation with details of your appointment and Vehicle Registration Number, before 1 March, to

TfL will review the request and send written confirmation of the outcome. Once your Safe System equipment has been fitted, you must follow the DVS Permit Application process.

You must take action before 1 March 2021. Operators informing us of a delay after this date will not be eligible for the grace period.

If you have any other questions, please contact us.

Direct vision and road safety

The Direct Vision Standard measures how much an HGV driver can see directly through their cab windows. This indicates the level of risk to vulnerable road users, such as people walking and cycling, near the vehicle.

The Direct Vision Standard and HGV safety permit for HGVs is part of the Mayor of London's Vision Zero plan to eliminate all deaths and serious injuries on London's transport network by 2041.

HGV safety permit and requirements

All lorries over 12 tonnes (GVW) entering or operating in Greater London will need to hold a valid HGV safety permit.

The HGV safety permit scheme covers Greater London and will be in operation 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Applying is free of charge.

For more information about the HGV safety permit scheme you can view a map of where it operates or read the HGV safety permit - guidance for operators entering London document below.

DVS star rating and Safe System

HGV operators must apply for a permit for their vehicles before travelling through the area. A permit will be granted if the vehicle meets the minimum DVS star rating.

If your vehicle does not meet the minimum DVS star rating, you will need to make your vehicle safer by fitting it with Safe System improvements, or you may receive a PCN.

What you need to know about DVS star ratings and Safe System improvements.

Zero Star Rating Self-Certification

If you are applying for a single vehicle we do not hold details for, and you know the vehicle has a star rating of zero, you can still submit an HGV Safety Permit application.

To self-certify the vehicle as zero star rated you must upload a written statement as part of your application.

The statement must include the following:

  • Your name
  • Number plate (vehicle registration mark)
  • Vehicle make and/or model
  • Statement that you are providing self-certification of the vehicle's zero star rating

Once you receive confirmation that our records have been updated, you can make a zero star HGV Safety Permit application for the vehicle.


A small number of vehicles are entitled to an exemption from the HGV Safety Permit Scheme. These include specialist construction vehicles built for mainly off-road use (for example, telehandlers and mobile cranes).

If your vehicle is registered in the UK it should automatically be exempt and you don't need to register it with us. However, please check the star rating of your vehicle. If your vehicle is not recognised as being exempt, or if your vehicle is registered outside the UK, you will need to contact us. When contacting us, please upload a copy of your vehicle's V5C and photos of the front, rear and side of the vehicle with the VRM plate clearly visible. We will then review your request and send you written confirmation of the outcome.

Enforcement and penalties

Once enforcement starts, if you drive an HGV within most of Greater London without a valid permit you may receive a penalty charge notice (PCN) of up to £550 (reduced to £275 if paid within 14 days).

Read the conditions of the HGV Safety Permit.

Vehicles from outside of the UK

Vehicles registered outside the UK more than 12 tonnes gross vehicle weight entering or operating in most of Greater London will also need to hold a valid permit. You can apply for a permit as usual. Where we ask for your registration documents, such as a V5C log book, we accept foreign equivalents.

Progressive Safe System

The Safe System will be reviewed and consulted on in 2022 and will take into account any additional technology or safety equipment not currently available.

Any new equipment or technology proposed for the Progressive Safe System must be able to be retrofitted to HGVs, industry recognised and readily available on the market at the time.

From October 2024, HGVs rated below three stars will need to feature the Progressive Safe System.

Other charges which may apply:

Congestion Charge (CC)

Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)

Low Emission Zone (LEZ)

Changes to LEZ emissions standards from 2021

Tougher LEZ emissions standards for heavy diesel vehicles are coming into force from 1 March 2021. Heavy diesel vehicles including lorries, buses, coaches and specialist vehicles will need to meet Euro VI (NOx and PM) emissions standards or pay a daily charge to drive within the Greater London area.

More information

Find out more about Direct Vision Standard research.