Work Related Road Risk
Freight safety is a pressing issue. Trucks and vans are more likely to be involved in fatal or serious injury incidents with pedestrians and cyclists than other vehicles. We believe that more can be done to prevent this.
We are putting road danger reduction at the heart of everything we do. If you operate trucks or vans in our supply chain you will need to meet higher road safety standards. These are known as WRRR requirements.
Since 1 January 2017, we have been turning vehicles away from our sites if they do not meet these standards.
How to comply with WRRR
Be accredited with FORS
- For contracts advertised after 1 November 2018, the minimum requirement is FORS Silver
- For contracts advertised prior to 1 November 2018, the minimum requirement is FORS Bronze
- Drivers are to receive training consistent with the FORS Silver standard. There is a list of approved training courses on the FORS website
Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes must be fitted with safety features consistent with the FORS Silver standard.
Benefits of WRRR compliance
By complying with WRRR, you will:
- save lives and protect communities by reducing the risk of collisions
- reduce vehicle downtime and delays to deliveries
- reduce costs by saving money spent on insurance claims and premiums, and vehicle repairs
- reduce reputational risk - eg association with a supplier involved in a serious or fatal collision
- demonstrate that your organisation is fulfilling its public duty
Direct Vision Standard (DVS)
If the following conditions are met, then early adoption of DVS will form part of your WRRR contractual obligations:
- contracts, advertised on or after 01 April 2017, exceeding £1M (and)
- exceeding a duration of 12 months (and)
- using vehicles exceeding 12 tonnes (where)
- a significant amount of the work will be completed in London
If your contract is in scope, it will specify that from 26 October 2019 vehicles must meet a minimum 1 star DVS rating. From 26 October 2023, vehicles will need to have a minimum DVS rating of 3 star. The DVS safe system is not an acceptable alternative for these contracts.
The leaflets below provide more information on compliance with WRRR, and can be printed and distributed to members of your organisation.
Transport for London (TfL) its subsidiaries and service providers will use your personal information for the purposes of administering your WRRR Self certification form, including assessing compliance with WRRR Requirements, managing any correspondence and establishing and defending legal rights. On some occasions, we may need to share your information with - or receive information from - associated organisations or their agents for these purposes, and this includes the Freight Operators Recognition Scheme (FORS). Your personal information will be properly safeguarded and processed in accordance with the requirements of privacy and data protection legislation. To find out more about how TfL handles personal data see our privacy and cookies pages.
WRRR supplier leaflet
Freight vehicle PQQ wording
Freight vehicle invitation to tender requirements
WRRR contract requirement - for contracts advertised from 1 November 2018 (FORS Silver)
WRRR contractual requirements for contracts advertised prior to 1 November 2018 (FORS Bronze)
HGV DVS contract schedule
WRRR self-certification form
Help with WRRR compliance
At TfL we can support you in achieving compliance with WRRR. In some cases we can help with funding training.
For more information, contact us at WRRR@tfl.gov.uk.