A Statutory Declaration can be made after we have issued you an Order for Recovery.

You may only make a Statutory Declaration if one of the following grounds applies to you:

  • You did not receive the original Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)
    This does not apply if you forgot to pay the penalty charge, mislaid it or forgot to make a representation. If you did not receive the original PCN because you moved address, ensure your Statutory Declaration includes details of your new address.
  • You made a representation to us but did not receive a reply
    This only applies if you made a representation within the time limit to the correct address provided on the PCN and did not receive a response from us. It does not apply if you received a reply you disagreed with or if we refused to consider your representation because it was late.
  • You made an appeal to the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service (PATAS) within the time limit but did not receive a reply
    As above, this does not apply if you received a response but disagreed with it.

A Statutory Declaration is a sworn oath. You must accurately complete the form enclosed with the Order for Recovery. It must be signed by a commissioner of oaths (for example, a solicitor), an officer of the County Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits, or a Justice of the Peace (at any Magistrates Court). There may be a charge for this, but not if your signature is witnessed at a County Court. You must file the witness statement by the date shown on the Order for Recovery.

Find out about submitting a witness statement.

Remember, the TEC may refuse your Statutory Declaration if:

  • If it is not signed and witnessed, or
  • It is submitted outside the required timeframe, or
  • It is not made on only one of the three grounds detailed above

Do not send your Statutory Declaration to us but to the Traffic Enforcement Centre (they will only deal with Statutory Declarations and cannot advise you on any other matters or take payment).

Remember, a Statutory Declaration is not a chance to complain or challenge the reason why the PCN was issued.

Filing a false declaration knowingly and wilfully is a criminal offence under Section 5 of the Perjury Act 1911 and you may be imprisoned for up to two years, fined or both.