Lost, stolen or faulty
You should always put your personal safety first. If the cycle is taken from you by force, call the police. Then call our contact centre and we'll let you know what to do.
Faulty or damaged cycles
If your cycle breaks down:
- Return it to the nearest docking station and secure it in a docking point
- Press the fault button on the docking point within 10 seconds - this lets us know the cycle needs repairing or replacing
- Or call 0343 222 6666 (TfL call charges)
- Or report it online
Our contact centre opening times are on the Suggestion & complaints page.
You'll need to wait five minutes before hiring another cycle within the same cycle access period. You will also need a new cycle release code every time you want to use a cycle.
If you hire a faulty cycle:
- Secure it back in the docking point
- Press the fault button
- Get a new release code at the terminal. There is no further charge for this, provided your access period is still valid
- Choose another cycle
Lost or stolen keys
If your key is lost or stolen - or you find one - immediately call 0343 222 6666 (TfL call charges) so we can deactivate it.
Users are liable for any charges until they report the key as lost or stolen. If someone else finds your key, they could use it to hire or steal a cycle and you would have to pay the charges.
For security, once a key is marked as lost or stolen it can't be used again, even if it is found. Replacements for lost or stolen keys cost £3 per key.
Abandoned Santander Cycles
Report abandoned Santander Cycles using:
We'll collect the cycle as soon as possible.
Charges for missing/damaged cycles
You may be charged if the bike is not returned or is damaged by you or an additional user.
- Not returned: up to a maximum charge of £300
- Damage: up to a maximum charge of £300
See more in our Santander Cycles terms and conditions.