Getting started is easy. Simply hire a bike, ride it, then return it to any docking station.
Step 1 - Hire
- Go to the nearest docking station terminal with your debit or credit card (accepts contactless) and touch the screen to begin. You can't use contactless devices such as phones or watches
- Choose 'Hire a cycle', follow the on-screen instructions and take the printed release code
- You can hire up to four bikes at the same time (you'll need a separate release code for each bike)
Tip: Santander Cycles are for short trips. Find out what you pay to hire.
Tip: Each bike release code is valid for 10 minutes and only at that docking station. Bikes are valuable so don't let anyone see your code before you use it.
Step 2 - Ride
- Take a moment to read our tips for safer cycling at the terminal
- Choose your bike and check the tyres, brakes and bell
- Type your release code into the docking point's keypad and pull the bike out when the green light appears
- Adjust the saddle height and you're good to go!
Tip: The bikes have lights that come on automatically when you start pedalling.
Step 3 - Return
- Push the bike firmly into any empty docking point
- You must wait for the green light, which will show that the bike is securely docked (otherwise we'll keeping charging you for your journey). If you don't get a green light, call the Contact Centre on 0343 222 6666 (Charges may apply)
- If the docking station is full, choose 'No docking point free' at the terminal and follow the on-screen directions to get an extra 15 minutes included
- To find a nearby space if the docking station is full, choose 'Status of nearest docking station' at the terminal.
- Remember, if you're not using the bike, dock it back!
Tip: If the bike is unsafe to ride, please let us know it needs repairing by pressing the 'Fault' button on the docking point within 10 seconds of docking it. Turn the saddle backwards to show others that it needs repairing.
See how to hire a Santander Cycle