Roadworks and street faults

Report roadworks

Keeping people safe at roadworks

We have produced a temporary traffic management handbook that sets out good practice for those involved with carrying out roadworks and other construction related activities on TfL's road network (TLRN)

Find out about roadworks

LondonWorks has information on current and planned roadworks taking place.

Find out:

  1. Where roadworks are taking place
  2. How long the work will last
  3. Who is doing the work and how to contact them

LondonWorks is run by us in partnership with boroughs and utility companies.

TfL lane rental scheme

The TfL lane rental scheme (TLRS) was introduced in June 2012. It applies to the most traffic-sensitive locations and times of day. It covers 69% of the Transport for London Road Network (TLRN).

The scheme encourages behaviour change and minimises highway occupation, by applying a daily charge.

Roadworks Charter

The Roadworks Charter is a collaboration between TfL and London's biggest utility companies. It sets out a series of principles and targets which achieved together will ensure roadworks are carried out efficiently and safely, keeping disruption to a minimum and supporting sustainable travel.

Those signed up to the Charter will commit to improving their performance around failed inspections and safety related response times. They will reduce disruption to road users during peak periods and commit to sharing forward plans to improve collaboration. Additionally their commitments include improving provision for pedestrians, cyclists and bus passengers through their works.

London Permit Scheme

We've signed up to the London Permit Scheme for improved coordination of roadworks.

Roadworks enforcement

We are committed to providing a fair and proactive approach when carrying out our duties under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA), the Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA), the London Permit Scheme (LoPS), and the associated regulations and codes of practice. Part of this approach is to carry out enforcement action, including prosecutions where appropriate.

We also operate a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) scheme in accordance with The Street Works (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2007, and the Traffic Management Permit Scheme Regulations 2007 (as amended). The below policy outlines our approach in the consideration and discharge of TfL enforcement and prosecution processes, as well as our commitment to have due regard to all relevant legislation, regulations and guidelines.

Highway licences

If you need scaffolding, cranes, skips or any other structure on any of the roads we look after, you need to apply for a highway licence.

Licence to undertake street works

If you need a licence to place or maintain apparatus in the highway, you must apply for a section 50 licence under the New Road and Street Works Act 1991.

Suspending cycle hire docking stations

The following guidance is provided for utility companies that need to arrange a suspension or temporary removal of a cycle hire docking station to facilitate your works

Bus stop suspensions

The following guidance is provided for utility companies and highway authorities that need to arrange a temporary suspension of a bus stop to facilitate works.

A map of bus stops and routes can be found on the following link:

To apply for a temporary bus stop suspension, please 

Support for applicants can be found in the StarGo user guide 

For queries relating to bus stop suspensions, please contact one of the following:

  • Central Area

Camden, City of London, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Spelthorne (Surrey), Westminster

Support enquiries:


  • North Area

Barking & Dagenham, Barnet, Brent, Enfield, Essex, Harrow, Harringey, Havering, Herfordshire, Hillingdon, Newham, Redbridge, South Bucks, Slough, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest

Support enquiries:


  • South Area

Bexley, Bromley, Croydon, Greenwich, Kent, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton, Richmond, Southwark, Surrey (not Spelthorne), Sutton, Wandsworth

Support enquiries:


Temporary traffic regulation orders (TTROs) and temporary consolidated suspension requests (TCSRs)

if you are a utility company and a restriction is required to prohibit the movement of traffic in order to carry out street works, a temporary traffic regulation order must be obtained under section 14(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

The following guide is provided to utility companies that need to request a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) and a temporary consolidated suspension request (TCSR) in relation to the temporary suspension of parking, loading and disabled bays and bus lanes.

If you would like to apply for a TTRO and a TCSR, please visit,

Support for applicants can be found in the StarGo User Guide 

For any questions, please email: