Travel for schools
Free off-peak travel for visits to educational, sporting and cultural venues in London for school groups.
The scheme gives free travel on:
- London Overground
- TfL Rail
- Most National Rail services within London Zones 1-6
- National Rail services outside London between Amersham and Moor Park
Can my school register?
You can register if you're:
- In a London borough
- Teaching the National Curriculum or Further Education subjects
The scheme is open to state, independent and academy schools.
Summer schools run in association with local education authorities can register. You may need to provide evidence in your application, such as an Ofsted report.
Nursery schools can also register.
How does it work?
Register your school
To register your school for the scheme, send us a letter on letter-headed paper, confirming:
- Your school wants to join the School Party Travel Scheme
- Your school follows the National Curriculum or a substantially similar programme
- The London borough your school is in
- Your schools Ofsted Unique Reference Number (URN)
- Name and address of the school, including postcode and telephone number and a school email address
- Your school will abide by the scheme's terms and conditions
Email your letter in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post it to us at:
School Party Travel team
Transport for London
14 Pier Walk
London SE10 0ES
Number of trips per school
A maximum of two trips per child, per term. You can include up to 90 children and 18 adults on each application.
A minimum of one adult (aged 18 or over) and maximum of two adults for every 10 children (aged under 18).
If you need to travel with more adults, they'll need to pay adult fares.
If you're a special educational needs school and/or making a trip with children with special needs and need to travel with more than 10 adults, contact us.
When you apply for tickets, we'll check which services are available for your time of travel. We may need to stagger the travel time to make sure there's space for your group and other travellers.
You must only use School Party Travel tickets:
- At the specific stations and/or bus routes shown on your ticket
- On the date and times shown on your ticket
- For the number of children and adults shown on your ticket
If you don't, your ticket isn't valid for travel and your school may be suspended from the scheme.
Places to visit
You can apply for free travel to educational, cultural or sporting venues that support the National Curriculum. These include:
- Animal parks and zoos
- Areas of cultural interest (for example Chinatown)
- Artists' studios, arts centres and design studios
- Buildings of architectural or environmental interest
- Cinemas, concert halls and theatres
- City Farms, commons, heaths and parks
- Film studios, galleries, museums and print works
- Sites of archeological, environmental or religious interest
- Sporting venues, swimming pools, playing fields and indoor leisure centres. You can also be spectating or participating in sport
- Occasional venues which support an area of study but take place for a limited time
Recreational trips, such as trips to theme or amusement parks, are excluded. If you have special requirements for your trip, include these on your application.
Try to start your journey after 10:00 to avoid the busiest times. The scheme runs from Monday to Friday at the following times:
|Service||Journeys must start no earlier than||Must begin the final leg of your journey by|
|Buses and trams||09:30||16:30|
|Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and National Rail||09:50 where journey starts in Zone 1 or 2||16:30|
|Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and National Rail||09:30 where journey starts in Zones 3-9||16:30|
Apply for tickets
You can apply for School Party Travel tickets up to three months in advance. If you apply online, you can't apply any later than 14 days before you travel. If you apply by email or post, you can't apply any later than 21 days before you travel.
It's best to apply early as we may reject applications from too many school groups travelling to the same venue or event.
Travelling to a new venue
If your venue or event doesn't appear in the drop down list when you apply, you can suggest it. It may take up to seven working days for us to decide if it can be added.
Travelling on National Rail
If your trip includes National Rail services you can book your tickets through us. On your application you must tell us the time of the train(s) you want to travel on.
Terms and conditions
Apply on your School Party Travel Scheme account.
Apply by email or post
If you're a nursery school, you can apply by email or post:
- Complete the application form.