If you're claiming certain benefits, you may get discounted travel on our buses and trams.
You get 50% off:
- Adult pay as you go bus and tram fares
- Adult 7 Day or monthly (up to six months) Bus & Tram Passes
Can I get it?
You must be:
- Living in a London borough
- Aged between 18 and 60
- Getting no other free or discounted travel
And, claiming one of these benefits:
- Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance
- Jobseekers Allowance for at least 13 weeks
- Universal Credit for at least 13 weeks, and not earning more than the threshold defined by the Department for Work and Pensions
How to apply
- Print off an application form, or get one from some London Post Offices and London Jobcentre Plus offices
2. On the form, read the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Notice
3. Complete and sign the form
4. If you claim Jobseeker's Allowance or Universal Credit, you need to get your form validated by your Jobcentre Plus adviser
5. Take your completed form and proof to a participating Post Office in London
6. Staff at the Post Office will check your documents and photographs and issue you with a Bus & Tram Discount photocard
Proof to take with you:
- Two passport-type photographs - must be a true likeness of you, with your full name written in capitals on the back
- Proof of identify - one of the following showing your current name:
- Valid passport or ID card from a European Economic Area country
- Current, full driving licence
- Valid bank card
- Post Office Card Account card
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce, separation or annulment papers
- NHS medical card
- Residential utility bill from the last three months (mobile phone bills not accepted)
- Biometrics Residence Permit
- Home Office Application Registration Card
- If you claim Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance, you also need:
Your original benefit entitlement letter from the Department for Work and Pensions or Jobcentre Plus, showing your current address.
If your letter is over three months old, you need to show a bank statement from the last three months showing you still receive a benefit.
If your benefit is paid by cheque, bring this with you instead of a bank statement.
Start using your card
- Take your Bus & Tram Discount photocard and your Oyster card to any Oyster Ticket Stop or Tube station
- Ask staff to add your Bus & Tram Discount to your Oyster card. You need to give a password
- Add pay as you go credit to your Oyster card or buy a Bus & Tram Pass
- Create or sign in to your contactless and Oyster account and add your Oyster card. Use the same password you gave to staff when they added your discount. If you don't, you can't get a refund or replacement
- Carry your photocard and Oyster card with you at all times
- Touch in each time you get on a bus or tram
- Don't let anyone else use your cards
Your photocard is valid for six months. When it expires, you can re-apply if you still meet the eligibility criteria.