Cars need to meet minimum emission standards when travelling in the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) or the daily charge must be paid.
Minimum emission standards
Petrol: Euro 4
Diesel: Euro 6
The ULEZ will be enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:
- Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
- Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those registered with the DVLA after September 2015
Use our tool to check your vehicle.
Charges (if ULEZ standards NOT met)
We would prefer that you use a vehicle that meets the new emissions standards rather than pay a daily charge.
Daily charge - ULEZ (Low): £12.50
Penalty charge: £160 (reduced to £80 if paid within 14 days)
These are in addition to any Congestion Charge that applies. (Cars are not subject to the Low Emission Zone (LEZ).)
If your vehicle does not meet the required ULEZ standards you can:
Walk, cycle or use our public transport network
Take advantage of our fares freeze and off-peak fares
- Use our Hopper fare to take unlimited bus or tram journeys within one hour for £1.50. Find out more about the Hopper fare
- Travel off peak anywhere between Zones 2 and 6 for £1.50. Find out more about fares
- Night services on the Tube and London Overground are off peak
- If you're planning a night out, travel from Zones 2-9 in to Zone 1 during the rush hour from £2.40. When is off peak?
Upgrade to a second-hand vehicle that meets ULEZ standards
- Nearly all petrol vehicles produced since 2005 meet the ULEZ standards
- Vehicles which meet the equivalent of the Euro 4 NOx standard for petrol have been available to buy since 2001
Check your vehicle registration document to find your vehicle's Euro emission standard.
The date when your vehicle was first registered with the DVLA is in section B of the document. You can check the date with Gov.uk's vehicle enquiry service.
Pay the daily charge
- You'll be able to pay any ULEZ, LEZ and/or Congestion Charges that apply online, all at the same time
Join a car club
- Electric cars emit no NOx or CO2 from the tailpipe (compared to 120 g/km for the average small petrol car). More information about electric and plug-in hybrids, including advice on picking a vehicle is on the Go Ultra Low website
See if you qualify for a discount or exemption
ULEZ boundary expansion
From October 2021 the ULEZ will expand to the North and South Circular Roads. All cars within the expanded zone will need to meet the ULEZ emissions standards or pay a daily charge.
Find out more about this and other planned changes for the ULEZ and the LEZ from 2020.