To qualify for the 90% residents' discount, you must live within the Congestion Charge residents' discount zone.
- Our location checker will confirm if your address is within the residents' discount zone.
- You may continue to apply if you live within the Congestion Charge residents' discount zone AND:
- Your name is shown on either the Parliamentary or local government electoral register
- Your main or permanent home is in the Congestion Charging zone
- The property is used for residential purposes
- You are at least 17 years old
If you are adding a vehicle it must be registered with the DVLA in your name and at the address you are using to apply for the discount.
OR you can register a company or lease vehicle if it is for your sole use only.
OR if you don't own a vehicle, you can register if you occasionally use a hire or recognised car club vehicle.
Documents you need to provide
You need to provide evidence of both the address and discount vehicle.
To show that you live in the Congestion Charge zone you need to provide an image or copy of 2 of the following:
- A current resident's on-street parking permit or a parking permit approval letter (must show the number plate/Vehicle Registration Mark)
- A residential council tax bill (valid for the current year)
- Your income support entitlement letter (no more than 7 months old)
- A bank or credit card statement (no more than 3 months old)
- A formal tenancy agreement or housing association rent documents (dated within the last 12 months)
- A current utility bill, for example a gas, water or electricity bill (no more than 3 months old, mobile phone bills are not accepted)
- Your driving licence(must contain the address you are using to register for the residents' discount)
You will also need to provide an image of 1 document from the list below.
Your own private vehicle:
- Your V5C vehicle registration certificate (logbook). (The vehicle must also be registered with the DVLA in your name and at the address you are using to apply for the residents' discount)
- A company car authorisation letter - this must be on company headed paper, state your full name, the number plate (Vehicle Registration Mark) and confirm that the vehicle is for your use only. (The vehicle must be registered in the company name with the DVLA)
- Vehicle lease document - this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle. (The vehicle must be registered in the lease company name with the DVLA)
A company car provided by a lease company:
- Your company's vehicle lease document (this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle)
- A company car authorisation letter - this must be on company headed paper, state your full name, the number plate (Vehicle Registration mark) and confirm that the vehicle is for your use only. (The vehicle must be registered in the company or lease name with the DVLA)
All documents must be clear enough to read easily. If we can't read them we may ask you for more proof. This will delay the registration process.
There is an annual £10 registration charge for this discount.
To pay the discounted Congestion Charge online you need to set up Auto Pay. You'll only pay for the days that you drive within the zone and protect yourself from receiving Penalty Charge Notices.
If your vehicle does not meet the ULEZ emissions standards you need to pay the full daily ULEZ charge when driving in the zone.
If you can provide the documents required for a residents' discount, you can apply online now.
Just moved into the residents' discount zone?
If you've just moved into the Congestion Charge zone and don't have the documents you need, you can still apply for the discount and provide your documents later. Remember to tell us by selecting the correct button below.
You will need to pay the full charge until your discount has been approved. However, subject to the residents' discount terms and conditions, you may be entitled to a 90% refund of the charges you've paid while you've been waiting.