Cars need to meet minimum emissions standards when travelling within the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) or the daily £12.50 charge must be paid.
Minimum emission standards
Petrol: Euro 4 (NOx)
Diesel: Euro 6 (NOx and PM)
The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:
- Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
- Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015
Charges (if ULEZ standards NOT met)
We prefer that you use a vehicle that meets the emissions standards rather than pay a daily charge.
A daily charge runs from midnight to midnight. If you drive within the ULEZ area across two days, for example before midnight and after midnight, you will have to pay two daily charges.
- Daily ULEZ charge: £12.50
- Penalty charge: £180 (reduced to £90 if paid within 14 days)
These are in addition to any Congestion Charge that applies. (Cars and motorcycles are not subject to the Low Emission Zone (LEZ)).
How to pay
- Set up Auto Pay. There are no registration or renewal fees. Already have Auto Pay? Then you don't need to do anything
- Pay online
- Download the official TfL Pay to drive in London app for free from both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store
- Pay by phone
UK: 0343 222 2222 (TfL call charges)
International:+44 343 222 2222
Textphone: 020 7649 9123 (if you have impaired hearing)
Patients travelling to NHS hospital appointments may be able to get a refund for ULEZ charges. Find out more about NHS reimbursements.
If your vehicle does not meet the required ULEZ standards you can:
Use public transport, walk, or cycle wherever possible
- We clean our services with antiviral disinfectant. Download the TFL Go app on the Apple Store or Google Play for live travel updates and to find quiet times to travel
Take advantage of our fares
Scrap your vehicle
Join a car club
See if you qualify for a discount or exemption
- Electric cars emit no NOx or CO2 from the tailpipe (compared to 120 g/km CO2 for the average small petrol car). More information about electric and plug-in hybrids, including advice on picking a vehicle, is on the Go Ultra Low website
- We are working with partners to develop a network of rapid charging points in London to help you charge your vehicle quickly and efficiently. More information on London's network of rapid charging points and useful tools on the Electric vehicles and charge points page
Upgrade to a second-hand vehicle that meets ULEZ standards
If you're thinking of buying a new or second-hand car, first look up its emissions in real-world driving conditions with the Mayor of London's Cleaner Vehicle Checker.
- Nearly all petrol vehicles produced since 2005 meet the ULEZ standards
- Vehicles which meet the equivalent of the Euro 4 NOx standard for petrol have been available to buy since 2001
Check your vehicle now to see if you're affected. For new vehicles, the Euro emissions standard may be listed on your vehicle registration document (also known as the V5C).
If it's not shown, you can use the date when the vehicle was first registered with the DVLA - this is in section B of the document. Then check GOV.UK's vehicle enquiry service.
Pay the daily charge
Questions about ULEZ?
If you need more advice about the ULEZ, you can make an enquiry.