Our digital strategy hinges around an integrated presence across digital media, including open data.
We have committed to syndicating open data to third parties (where technically, commercially and legally viable) and to engaging developers to deliver and innovate using open data.
Over 8,500 developers have registered for our open data, consisting of our unified API (Application Programming Interface) that powers nearly 500 travel apps in the UK with over 42% of Londoners using apps powered by our data. This enables millions of journeys in London each day, giving customers the right information at the right time through their channel of choice.
Why are we committing to open data?
- Public data - As a public body, our data is publically owned
- Reach - Our goal is to ensure any person needing travel information about London can get it wherever and whenever they wish, in any way they wish
- Economic benefit - Open data facilitates the development of technology enterprises, small and medium businesses, generating employment and wealth for London and beyond
- Innovation - By having thousands of developers working on designing and building applications, services and tools with our data and APIs, we are effectively crowdsourcing innovation
How is our open data presented?
Data is presented in three main ways:
- Static data files - Data files which rarely change
- Feeds - Data files refreshed at regular intervals
- API (Application Programming Interface) - Enabling a query from an application to receive a bespoke response, depending on the parameters supplied. Find out more about our unified API.
Data is presented as XML wherever possible.