Motorcycles need to meet minimum emissions standards when travelling within the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) or pay a £12.50 charge.
Vehicles included are:
- Motorised tricycles
- Quadricycles (L-category)
Minimum emissions standards
All vehicles need to meet Euro 3 emissions standards for NOx.
The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age but, generally speaking, Euro 3 engines are those registered with the DVLA after July 2007.
Check your vehicle to see if you are affected. If the checker says your vehicle is subject to ULEZ but you think it does meet the standards, follow the steps on the results page to send us proof.
Contact your vehicle's manufacturer if you're not sure about its emissions - we will accept supporting evidence from them.
Motorbike emissions testing
We will also accept evidence from test facilities approved by us for measuring NOx emissions. If successful, the test facility will contact us with the results.
Test centres that believe they can offer motorcycle emissions testing to the required standards should email their contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved centres for motorcycle emissions testing
Riverbank Motorcycles Ltd
Unit 12, Riverbank Business Park
Dye House Lane, Bow
London E3 2TB
ULEZ Testing UK Ltd
5 Bowman`s Trading Estate
The Test Centre
Charges (if ULEZ standards not met)
We would prefer vehicle owners to use vehicles that meet the emissions standards rather than pay a daily charge.
A daily charge runs from midnight to midnight. If you drive within the ULEZ area across two days, for example before midnight and after midnight, you will have to pay two daily charges.
- Daily ULEZ charge: £12.50
- Penalty charge: £180 (reduced to £90 if paid within 14 days)
These are in addition to any Congestion Charges that may apply to some motorbikes Motorcycles and other L-category vehicles are not subject to the Low Emission Zone (LEZ).
How to pay
- Set up Auto Pay. There are no registration or renewal fees. Already have Auto Pay? Then you don't need to do anything
- Pay online
- Download the official TfL Pay to drive in London app for free from both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store
- Pay by phone
UK: 0343 222 2222 (TfL call charges)
International:+44 343 222 2222
Textphone: 020 7649 9123 (if you have impaired hearing)
Motorbikes and mopeds are exempt from the Congestion Charge.
If your vehicle does not meet the required ULEZ standards you can:
Walk or cycle wherever possible, or use public transport
- This includes our Night Bus services
- We clean our services using antiviral disinfectant. Download the TFL Go app on the Apple Store or Google Play for live travel updates and to find quiet times to travel
Take advantage of our fares
See if you qualify for a discount or exemption
Scrap your vehicle
- Londoners receiving certain disability and low-income benefits can apply to our car and motorcycle scrappage scheme and receive a grant payment, or an option of a lower grant payment plus one or two annual bus and tram tickets. Exclusive offers are also available.
Upgrade to a second-hand vehicle that meets ULEZ standards
- Nearly all motorcycles produced since 2007 meet the ULEZ standards
- Check your vehicle registration document to find your vehicle's Euro emission standard or NOx emissions. If these are not listed on the vehicle registration document then check with the original manufacturer or use our vehicle checker
The date when your vehicle was first registered with the DVLA is in section B of the document. You can check the date with GOV.UK's vehicle enquiry service.
Pay the daily charge
- Electric motorcycles emit no NOx or CO2 from the tailpipe. More information about electric vehicles, including a list of those eligible for a grant, is on GOV.UK's page on plug-in grants
Questions about ULEZ?
If you need more advice about the ULEZ, you can make an enquiry.