Engineering early careers schemes
Being an engineer at TfL
Our engineers shape London's transport system. The engineering challenge we face has been likened to undertaking open heart surgery on a patient while they're running a marathon. Our engineers also help make the decisions that will lead to a low carbon future as our network plays a massive role in ensuring London can become a net zero carbon city.
The work of a TfL engineer is incredibly varied. We have projects and teams to interest almost any engineer. Our engineers:
- Span all our transport modes from London Underground to London Overground, to Buses, Trams, Future Mobility and Highways & Streets
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams from across TfL with customers, local government, leading suppliers, consultants and contractors
- Span a wide variety of disciplines: Mechanical, Electrical, Telecoms, Fire, Systems, Human Factors, Business, Civils, Structural, Traffic, Highways and more
Meet some of our Engineers on our Made by TfL blog.
Projects our engineers work on
TfL engineers work on some of the most complex and cutting-edge flagship projects in the UK. These include:
- The TfL Major Projects Carbon Strategy - Defining how our engineers will reduce carbon emitted through our construction and flagship transport projects
- Trackside solar farms - Designing the power network upgrades we need to support connection to solar farms built on TfL trackside land
- E-scooter trials
- Improving buses
- DLR upgrade
- Piccadilly Line Upgrade (PLU)
What makes our engineering early career schemes unique
TfL early career schemes provide unparalleled flexibility. At TfL you'll do a number of diverse placements across transport modes and the project lifecycle. The breadth of experience you'll gain will set you apart from other early careers professionals.
Our graduates and apprentices have the freedom to choose placements in any sector of TfL (or with one of our many suppliers). Graduates and apprentices are highly valued within our engineering teams, regularly getting involved in cross-organisation strategy work and given responsibility from day one. You'll gain a vast network of TfL and external contacts through the scheme's several placements. It's often said that the best way to find out something in TfL is to ask a graduate or apprentice as they are bound to know someone with the answer!
Read about the 10 benefits we offer our apprentices and graduates.
What we look for
Everything we do as an engineering team is aimed at ensuring that our evolving city remains future-proof for millions of Londoners. Our talented graduates and apprentices form a vital part of that vision, so it's essential that we find the best people to help us do this.
We're looking for people who have:
- An inquisitive mind
- A creative approach to problem-solving
- A curiosity to understand the root cause of a problem
- A desire to strive for ways to improve and refine
We have the engineering scheme for you if you're excited by the opportunity to inspire and influence the future of London.