Christmas and New Year travel
Travel changes and information
Between Friday 24 December 2021 and Monday 3 January 2022, planned work, closures and service changes may affect your journey.
The only transport running on Christmas Day will be taxi and private hire services, Santander Cycles, coaches and Dial-a-Ride (for registered members only) and electric scooter rental trials in some London Boroughs.
During the Christmas and New Year period, changes to timetables are likely on all TfL services.
We're doing all we can to keep operating as planned, but you should check before you travel. Services and stations may be affected at short notice by staff absences because of coronavirus or self-isolation.
Planned closures will affect travel to Heathrow Airport.
Planned works and timetable changes also affect National Rail services. For more information visit National Rail's Christmas and New Year travel summary.
Travel to Heathrow Airport will be affected by planned closures throughout the festive period. See our page of daily travel advice for Heathrow.
- 24-30 December and 2-3 January: no Piccadilly line service to or from Heathrow. Use TfL Rail to/from Paddington (except 25 & 26 December). Replacement coaches also available to/from Hammersmith
- Christmas Day (25 December): no public transport running. Use taxi and private hire services or alternative third-party coach services
- Boxing Day (26 December): no Tube or rail services to/from Heathrow, including Heathrow Express services. Use bus, replacement coach from Hammersmith, third-party coach or taxi and private hire services
- The Congestion Charge will not operate from 25 December 2021 to 3 January 2022 (inclusive)
- The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will not operate on Christmas Day (Saturday 25 December)
- The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) operates every day of the year (including Christmas Day)
- Dial-a-Ride operates from 07:00-22:00 Monday-Sunday over the festive period
- On Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, services will run between 07:00 and 02:00 the following morning
- Dial-a-Ride services are for registered members only
A one-boat service is running over Christmas and New Year. See the Woolwich Ferry webpage for operating hours.
Hyde Park Winter Wonderland
- You need to pre-book to go to Hyde Park Winter Wonderland.
- Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch and Knightsbridge are the closest stations but are expected to be busy
- For a quieter journey, travel to and from Bond Street, Victoria or Paddington
- For step free access, use Green Park or Bond Street, which have lifts
New Year's Eve
- TfL is not able to offer free travel on New Year's Eve
- There is no New Year's Eve firework display in central London
- You can use TfL's transport network to see friends or for leisure. Check our services on New Year's Eve.
- Check out New Year's Eve events and attractions on the Visit London website
- There will be special services running overnight
Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools.
- Plan a journey, which can help you plan your route by public transport, cycling or walking
- TfL Go - our live Tube map app for planning travel on the move
- Our email updates
- Nearby places you on a map, showing Tube, bus, river, London Overground, DLR, TfL Rail and Santander Cycles locations, as well as local businesses and destinations. It can use your current location, a postcode or an address of your choice
- Follow our safer travel guidance
- You must wear a face covering over your nose and mouth when using TfL services (unless you are exempt)
- Travel at quieter times if possible.
All this information is subject to change. We'll be updating this page regularly with more detail of what services are running over Christmas and New Year.