Frequency band for the metro signalling operation
Request ID: FOI-4570-1718
Date published: 14 March 2018
In the objective to use 5-6Ghz frequency band for the metro signalling operation in the London Underground/ London Overground network, could you please indicate the possibilities to use to following bands?
- 5925-5945 MHz: is there any usage possibility? Restrictions?
- 5905-5925 MHz: Under harmonization at EC level with CEPT/ETSI ongoing studies, as an extension of ITS band with the objective to allow coexistence between ITS-Rail and ITS-Road. Is there any usage possibility?
- 5855-5905Mhz: ITS-Road band
- 5725-5855 MHz: is there any usage possibility? Restrictions?
- 5470-5725 MHz: is there any usage possibility? with or without DFS ? other restrictions?
In addition to the availability of one or several of the here-above bands, could you please answer to the following questions:
- What would be the EIRP power limitation (indoor, outdoor)?
- Are these bands exempt from license of under fee condition?
- What is the official request procedure for a licensed-based option?
TfL Ref: 4570-1718
Thank you for your email received by us on 15 February 2018 asking for information about Radio frequency management and the frequency band used for the metro signalling operation of our rail services.
Your request has been considered in accordance with the requirements of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act and our information access policy.
Unfortunately we do not hold the information you have requested as Transport for London does not control radio frequency management. Ofcom is the designated frequency spectrum regulator in the UK under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (c. 36) and information on spectrum management is published on the their website at: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum
The following websites may also be of interest:
Frequency allocation table in the UK: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/information/uk-fat
Additional information on technical interface requirements can be found here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/information
For any further queries regarding frequency allocation or radio licences please contact Ofcom via their FOI page at: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/foi-dp
If this is not the information you are looking for, or if you are unable to access it for some reason, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Please see the attached information sheet for details of your right to appeal as well as information on copyright and what to do if you would like to re-use any of the information we have disclosed.
Back to top
FOI Case Officer
Transport For London