Request ID: FOI-2490-2223 Date published: 19 January 2023
1. How many 171 bus numbers are contracted each day? In other words the number of bus journeys from Elephant and Castle to Bellingham Catford Bus Garage.
2. How many 171 bus cancellations have occurred from 1st November to 5th January?
3. How many incomplete 171 journeys have occurred from 1st November to 5th January?
4. How many N171 bus numbers are contracted each night?
5. How many N171 bus cancellations have occurred from 1st November to 5th January?
6. How many incomplete 171 journeys have occurred from 1st November to 5th January?
Our Ref: FOI-2490-2223
Thank you for your request received on 5 January 2023 asking for information about the 171 and N171 bus routes.
Your request has been considered in accordance with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act and our information access policy. I can confirm we hold some of the information you require.
Please find attached routes 171 and N171 trip data operated between service day 01/11/2022 and 23/12/2022. The requested data between 24/12/2022 and 05/01/2023 has not been provided as it had not been processed and finalised yet.
Please note that the data is provided by service day. Route 171 service day starts early in the morning on the same calendar day and ends just after midnight on the next calendar day. Route N171 service day fully runs on the next calendar day.
Please also note the following:
• The attached file shows both routes 171 and N171 by direction and month • The file contains detailed trip data and trip summary data in separate worksheets • The detailed trip data sheets display trips from top to bottom and stops from left to right • Each records shows scheduled trip start and end times and recorded departure times from each stop • The times at stops mean the buses ran in service and were recorded by the iBus • Any missing records are replaced by ‘Operated’ or ‘Lost’ comments. The comments provide high level reasons and do not go into specific details • A number of trips may be split into two lines. This is normally done by the automatic system when a bus and/or driver change occurs in the middle of the trip • Trips marked ‘unscheduled’ are typically run in substitution of ‘scheduled’ trips which would be normally coded as ‘Operated, no time available’
The detailed trip data view would be useful to count how many trips are scheduled to run on a particular day. Please note, a different number of trips may be scheduled to run on standard weekday (school or non-school day), Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
The trip summary sheets display trip counts by direction/month across all stops.
The first fact column shows how many trips were scheduled to run on each direction/month, while the subsequent columns show how many trips operated or lost (both in numbers and percentages).
The trip summary data view would be useful to establish where buses are more likely to curtail and start in the opposite direction.
If this is not the information you are looking for, or if you are unable to access it for some reason, please feel free to contact me.
Please see the attached information sheet for details of your right to appeal.
Gemma Jacob Senior FOI Case Officer FOI Case Management Team General Counsel Transport for London