Bus Cuts and Changes
Request ID: FOI-2340-2021
Date published: 10 March 2021
I'm making an FOI request about potential future bus cuts and changes in Central London.
Please could you answer the following:
1) Can you confirm that there will be a reduction of a PVR of 300 buses equivalent to 4% in Central London in the foreseeable future?
2) If yes to question 1, what bus routes will potentially be cut, changed or entirely withdrawn?
3) Will a consultation be released in due course? If yes, roughly how soon?
4) What will happen to the surplus vehicles from the bus cuts?
TfL Ref: FOI-2340-2021
Thank you for your request received by Transport for London (TfL) on 16 February 2021, asking about bus cuts and changes.
Your request has been considered in accordance with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act and our information access policy. I can confirm that we hold some of the information you require. You asked:
- Can you confirm that there will be a reduction of a PVR of 300 buses equivalent to 4% in Central London in the foreseeable future?
The Government required TfL to produce a Financial Sustainability Plan in January 2021. We were asked to set out in this Plan how we could cover our running costs without financial support from Government by 2023/24. As part of this, we proposed a 4% reduction in bus kilometres by 2024/25, with an initial assessment to be undertaken by July 2021. We have not yet assessed the impact on peak vehicle requirements (PVR).
- If yes to question 1, what bus routes will potentially be cut, changed or entirely withdrawn?
It is too early to identify routes where services will be changed; this is a process that will be spread out over the period to 2024/25. We will not know the answer to this question until an assessment is complete and, as service changes require contractual changes, such information will be commercially sensitive until negotiations are complete.
- Will a consultation be released in due course? If yes, roughly how soon?
If the assessment results in proposals to make structural changes to routes and services, we will consult on such changes, and will do so in a timely fashion.
- What will happen to the surplus vehicles from the bus cuts?
We have not undertaken an assessment of the impacts on the bus fleet. In the event that there are reductions on some routes, there may be opportunities to cascade vehicles.
If you are considering submitting a further request please think carefully about whether the request is essential at this current time, as answering FOI/EIR requests will require the use of limited resources and the attention of staff who could be supporting other essential activity. Where requests are made, please note that our response time may be impacted by the current situation.
If this is not the information you are looking for, or if you are unable to access it for any reason, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Please see the attached information sheet for details of your right to appeal as well as information on copyright and what to do if you would like to re-use any of the information we have disclosed.
FOI Case Management Team
Transport for London
Back to top