FOI request detail

bus and cycle lanes

Request ID: FOI-1139-2122
Date published: 17 September 2021

You asked

I am working on a research project and I need to find out what percentage of the roads in certain towns are bus lanes. I also require this information for bike lanes. Are you able to assist me with this? Specifically, I am looking for the percentage of bus and bicycle lanes in each of the London boroughs, and a few other towns

We answered

TfL Ref: 1139 - 2122
Thank you for your clarified request received by Transport for London (TfL) on 6 September 2021
Your request has been considered in accordance with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act our information access policy.  I can confirm that we hold some of the information you require.

TfL is directly responsible for the Transport for London Road Network (TLRN), which represents 5 per cent of London’s road network. The other 95 per cent of London’s road are managed by London boroughs, although TfL maintains a strategic interest in London’s road network as a whole. The table attached provides a summary of the total length of TLRN road in each borough (column ‘B’), the total length of mandatory and advisory cycle lanes on the TLRN (column ‘C’), the total length of bus lanes on the TLRN situated in each London borough (column ‘D’), the total length of road managed by each borough (column ‘E’), and the percentage of London borough roads that are made up of bus lanes (column ‘F’). For information relating to cycle lanes on the 95 per cent of roads managed by London boroughs you may want to contact the London boroughs directly.

Please note that the information in the table relating to cycle lanes represents a snapshot in time from 2017/18, and the information for bus lanes is relatively current (from August 2021). We have been unable to commission site surveys during the pandemic so some of the data has been provided to us from other sources. Please also note there is likely to be some margin of error for all the data we have provided due to the processes we have had to use to extract the data you have requested.

If this is not the information you are looking for, or if you are unable to access it for any reason, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Please see the attached information sheet for details of your right to appeal as well as information on copyright and what to do if you would like to re-use any of the information we have disclosed.

Yours sincerely

Sara Thomas
FOI Case Management Team
General Counsel
Transport for London


Back to top

Want to make a request?

We'll email you the response within 20 working days.

We'll publish the response online without disclosing any personal information.