TfL Ref: FOI-0718-1718
Thank you for your email received on 21 June 2017 requesting information about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs).
Your request has been considered in accordance with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act and our Information Access Policy. You asked:
May I ask if you have any explanation for the huge difference in the number of PCNs issued at these two sites i.e 3,851 against 37. There is also a considerable difference (on average) of moneys received per PCN i.e £55 (approx) for Crisp St compared to £60 (approx) for Upper North St.
The difference in average payment rates that you have referred to assumes that all PCNs have been paid.
Of the 3,851 PCNs issued at the junction of East India Dock Road/Chrisp Street, 2,902 have been paid. 90.7% of the 2,602 paid PCNs have been paid at the discounted rate of £65. The remaining 9.3% have been paid at higher rates.
Of the 37 PCNs issued at the junction of East India Dock Road/Upper North Street/Saltwell St, 26 have been paid. 80.8% of the 26 paid PCNs have been paid at the discounted rate of £65. The remaining 19.2% have been paid at higher rates.
Therefore, the apparent discrepancy between average payment rate is because a higher proportion of the PCNs issued at East India Dock Road/Upper North Street/Saltwell St have been paid at higher rates. Please refer to the attached breakdown.
If this is not the information you are looking for, or if you are unable to access it for some reason, please feel free to contact me.
Please see the attached information sheet for details of your right to appeal as well as information on copyright and what to do if you would like to re-use any of the information we have disclosed.
FOI Case Officer
FOI Case Management Team
Transport for London