South Kensington station's current ticket hall and the stairs to the District and Circle line platforms are often over crowded. We want to make journeys through the station quicker and easier for our customers.
We were granted Listed Building Consent for capacity upgrades to this Grade II listed building by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC) in January 2018.
Our station upgrade is organised in phases. Phase one will add the extra capacity needed before the Piccadilly line escalators can be replaced.
Step-free access will also be available from:
South Kensington station is a listed heritage site and a gateway to one of the Capital's best-known cultural quarters and popular tourist destinations. It is one of the busiest stations on our network - about 34 million customers pass through each year.
Since 2015 we've been talking with the local community - residents as well as community groups, cultural institutions and RBKC - about plans to upgrade the station, and about development opportunities in and around the station. Our discussions have helped to shape and develop our proposals.
We're now planning these works, which will run until 2020 (see timeline below).
We will give our neighbours advance notice of our plans so they know about any works due to take place around the station.
Benefits for our passengers and the local community include:
Summer 2015: Started pre-application meetings with RBKC
Autumn 2015 (ongoing): Began communicating with local residents and other stakeholders about our plans
January 2018: RBKC granted Listed Building Consent application for station capacity improvements
March 2018: Selected Native Land as our preferred partner to help us develop the area around the station
By early 2019: Appointment of a contractor for the station capacity upgrade works - the first enabling works begin by May 2019
2019: Station capacity upgrade works continue with the new platform completed. Planning application submitted to RBKC for development of the area around the station. Piccadilly line escalators to be replaced when the station capacity upgrade works are complete
2020: Development of the area around the station begins
From 2022: Step-free access from Thurloe Street to the ticket hall, museum subway and District and Circle lines completed. Construction work for the development around the station completed
From 2025: Step-free access to the Piccadilly line
We have selected Native Land as our preferred joint venture partner to work with us to develop our land around the station. The development will respect the character of the local area, and will provide step-free access to the District and Circle line platforms via a new entrance on Thurloe Street.
The development will allow us to improve the properties around the station including the four-storey buildings at 20-34 Thurloe Street. We will also be able to create new opportunities along TfL's stretch of land on Pelham Street to Thurloe Square, and on the distinctive Bullnose building.
Subject to contracts, we will now work with Native Land and their preferred architecture firm, Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, to develop proposals for the site.
Consultation and engagement with the local community will happen later in 2018. Subject to planning permission, the development including step-free access to the District and Circle line, could be complete in 2022.
Our work with local stakeholders has helped us create a development brief and supporting architectural proposals for the site. These documents establish principles and set the tone for any future development around the station.
The development brief reflects our ambition for a respectful, high-quality development at South Kensington.
We've been discussing our plans for improving South Kensington station with local residents' associations and societies. These meetings followed the creation of the South Kensington Station CWG.
Documents showing our initial activities in planning the station upgrade and development around the station are on the presentations and documents page. Presentations and minutes from CWG meetings are also on that page.
Between March 2016 and September 2017 we ran a series of events to give as many people as possible an opportunity to comment on and help shape our proposals.
We will hold more drop-in events to update the community on our plans in the future. Details of these events will be posted here when confirmed.
If you were unable to attend the drop-in session on 19 September 2017, you can download a copy of the display boards.
South Kensington station is one of the oldest on the London Underground network. It opened in 1868 as the terminus of both the Metropolitan Railway and the Metropolitan District Railway.
1871 - The station was substantially rebuilt within three years of opening. It was widened to the south to allow the two rival companies to run their own trains on their own dedicated tracks and platforms. A reversing track in the central passenger platform was included and the tracks were covered by a double-arch glazed roof.
1885 - The pedestrian subway was built from the station to the museums
1907 - The construction of the electric Piccadilly line prompted the electrification of the existing District line and a modernisation of the station. The Metropolitan District Railway's architect, George Sherrin, designed a new entrance to the District line that included a shopping arcade, a new ticket hall space and new canopies over the platforms.
The architect for the Piccadilly line, Leslie Green, provided a new ticket hall building with access to the deep-level platforms via stairs and lifts. The building deliberately did not follow the architecture of the rest of the station but instead featured the oxblood red, glazed terracotta façade.
Late 20th century - In 1966 the reversing track separating the central platforms was decommissioned and filled in to make the wide island platform in use today. The two outside platforms were closed and the tracks and passenger access were removed. In 1970, escalators were installed from the ticket hall to the Piccadilly line and the lifts were decommissioned. In 1987, the ticket hall was extended to the current configuration.
The original parade of shops and residential premises along the northern side of Pelham Street were demolished in the early 1970s when piles were sunk for a mothballed hotel development. Since then this side of Pelham Street has been left bare with a wall and hoardings.
Today - South Kensington station is often congested with a high demand from the local community and tourists and school groups accessing the nearby museums and cultural centres.