Kentish Town station works
The London Underground ticket hall at Kentish Town is closed. Northern line trains are travelling directly from Camden Town-Tufnell Park or Tufnell Park-Camden Town.
During the works, Kentish Town Thameslink station remains open and continues to be served by Thameslink services. There is a separate entrance to this station.
Find out more about the work to replace the escalators.
Alternatives to the Northern line at Kentish Town
- Walk or use local bus services to Tufnell Park station (0.8 km) and use Northern line services
- Use Thameslink services from Kentish Town station (and change at King's Cross St Pancras/St Pancras International)
- Use Camden Town station when returning on Northern line services as an alternative to Tufnell Park station. Camden Town frequently becomes exit-only to help manage crowding
- Use London Overground services from Kentish Town West and Camden Road
- Northbound: use local bus route 134 towards Tufnell Park
- Southbound: use bus routes 88, 134 and 214 towards Camden Town station or bus route 393 to Chalk Farm
- During the closure, bus stop KF (Kentish Town) is closed. For Northbound buses, use bus stop KE, 180 metres south of the station
Walking and cycling
- Use our walking times between Tube stations map and our Cycling map
- Check before you travel using the Santander docking station map
Changing from Thameslink
- It's best to change to/from Thameslink at King's Cross St Pancras instead of Kentish Town during the works
- You can also change to/from the Tube at other Thameslink stations that connect with TfL services, including Farringdon, Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant & Castle
- Kentish Town Thameslink station will be busier than usual, especially during peak hours. Allow extra time to reach or leave the platforms
- Thameslink trains and stations in central London will also be busier
- Plan and check your journeys on Thameslink at nationalrail.co.uk
- If you use Thameslink services from Kentish Town station, you will be charged the same amount as for a Tube journey, meaning you will not pay extra even if changing between the National Rail and Tube networks
- There will be no Thameslink service due to Network Rail engineering works on:
- Sunday 10 September
- Sunday 22 October
- Sunday 10 December
- If you need to top up an Oyster cards during the closure, you can do so at nearby Oyster ticket stops at local shops. There are 5 within 0.5 km of the station
- You can buy paper tickets at Camden Town, Tufnell Park and Chalk Farm stations
- Thameslink passengers will need to buy tickets or top up in advance online; or top up at a nearby Oyster ticket outlet.You can also buy tickets for all Thameslink destinations in advance at thameslinkrailway.com/tickets
- You need to touch your Contactless or Oyster card on the validators at the temporary entrance/exit to avoid an incomplete journey charge
The two escalators at Kentish Town are in urgent need of replacement due to their poor condition and performance. We are also removing the redundant ticket office, realigning the ticket barriers to provide more space for customers, and installing more ticket gates, better signage and new tiling.
Once we've completed the works, customers will see an improvement in reliability, avoiding short notice closures.
Use our travel tools
Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools. To keep up-to-date with the latest service information, see:
- The TfL Go app
- Journey Planner, which can help you plan your route by public transport, cycling or walking
- The latest status updates for Tube, rail and trams
- The latest status updates for buses and traffic
- Nearby, which uses your current location or a postcode or address of your choice and places you on a map, showing you Tube, bus, rail and Santander Cycles locations around you
- Our email updates