Overground and TfL Rail delays
Before you claim
Please wait at least 48 hours as you might receive an automatic refund.
We do not give refunds for delays outside our control, including:
- Security alerts
- Bad weather
- Customer incidents e.g. a person falling ill on a train
- Engineering works
We do not give refunds if you travel for free using a Freedom Pass, 60+ Oyster photocard, Veterans Oyster photocard, or are aged 11 or under.
Refunds are given as pay as you go credit, web credit or by transfer into your bank account.
If you used a paper ticket or National Rail smartcard, your refund is transferred into your bank account.
You must claim within 28 days of the delay.
Claim a refund online
If the delay happened in the last 28 days and you were delayed for 30 minutes or more you can claim a refund online.
If you're claiming a refund for a delay on TfL Rail and can't see your station in the list, call us on 0343 222 1234.
National Rail smartcards
Choose 'paper ticket' as your ticket type if you use an National Rail smartcard and enter your full card number where asked to enter your ticket number.
Arrived over an hour late to your final destination
If you were delayed:
- On a London Overground or TfL Rail service, and
- Your journey included travel outside the pay as you go area, and
- You arrived at your destination over an hour late
Your refund can be calculated as set out in the National Rail Conditions of Travel (see the section on 'Compensation for delays').
Claim a refund by post
- Journey details (date, time and how long you were delayed for)
- Ticket type (Oyster or contactless card, National Rail smartcard or paper ticket number)
- Contact details (we may contact you to arrange a refund)
TfL Customer Services
14 Pier Walk