If you've been delayed on a Tube, DLR, London Overground or TfL Rail journey, you might be able to get a refund.
When we offer refunds for delays
If your journey was delayed for reasons within our control by:
- 15 minutes or more on Tube and DLR services
- 30 minutes or more on London Overground or TfL Rail services
We'll refund you the single fare for the journey you were delayed on.
When we don't offer refunds for delays
You can't get a refund for a delay if:
- You use a card or ticket to travel for free
- The delay is caused by planned changes to a service or planned engineering work
- The delay is caused by something outside of our control, such as:
- A security alert
- A customer incident, eg a person falling ill on a train
- Adverse weather conditions
- Strike action
If our bus services are disrupted by strike action, call TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges) for guidance.
How to apply for a refund
If you travelled with an Oyster card, paper ticket, key card or c2c smartcard
To apply for a refund you must have a contactless and Oyster account. If you don't have one, sign up for an account now.
- You must apply within 28 days of your delayed journey
- Once you have signed in to your account, select 'service delay refunds'
If you travelled using a key card or c2c smartcard
- Select 'paper ticket' as your ticket type for your delayed journey
- Enter your full card number where asked to enter your 'ticket number'
If you were delayed on London Overground or TfL Rail services and arrived at your destination more than one hour late
Your refund can be calculated as set out in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage (see the section on 'Train Service Disruption'), if this would result in the refund being higher.
To apply for a refund as set out in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, please write to our Customer Services team within 28 days of the delay:
TfL Customer Services
14 Pier Walk
You will need to provide:
- Details of your journey including date, time and how long you were delayed for
- Your Oyster card number, your original paper ticket or a copy of your season ticket and photocard
If you travelled using contactless
To apply for a refund, you must have a contactless and Oyster account. If you don't have one, sign up for an account now. You must apply within 30 days of your delayed journey.
Once you have signed in to your account:
- Select the contactless payment card you were travelling with when you were delayed
- On the 'card details' screen, select 'claim for service delay'
- Follow the instructions on screen