If you touch your purse or wallet containing more than one contactless payment card (including an Oyster card) on a reader you could be affected by card clash.
If a card reader detects more than one card:
- It doesn't know which card to take payment from
- If you get a green light it could take payment from a card you did not intent to pay with
- If you get a red light it means you won't have paid for your journey
- If you're at a ticket gate, it may not open
- You could be charged two maximum fares for a rail or River Bus journey. This happens when the reader charges one card when you touch in and another card when you touch out
Check for card clash
Sign in to your contactless and Oyster account to make sure that the card that you intended to pay with has been charged. If you also have an Oyster card, you should check the journey history on that too, to see if there are any unexpected journeys.
If you have been charged a maximum fare on two separate cards for the same journey, you can apply for a refund by signing in to your account.
If you have been charged a fare on a card you did not intend to pay with, please call us on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges).