If you served in the Armed Forces, you may be eligible for concessionary travel.
Benefits and eligibility
If you receive payments under the War Pensions Scheme, or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Schemes, you may be eligible for concessionary travel.
With a Veterans Oyster photocard you can travel free on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail services in London.
You may be eligible for a Veterans Oyster photocard if you're:
- Receiving ongoing payments - in your name - under the War Pensions Scheme: this includes widows, widowers and dependants
- Receiving Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme - in your name: this includes widows, widowers and dependants
Ongoing payments are awarded to service personnel who have sustained a certain level of physical or psychological injury in the line of duty. If you received a one-off gratuity payment instead of ongoing payments, then you're not eligible for a Veterans Oyster photocard.
We will not issue a Veterans Oyster photocard if you live in London and are eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard or a Freedom Pass.
See Veterans Oyster photocard terms and conditions.
The 60+ London Oyster photocard and the Freedom Pass give exactly the same travel benefits as the Veterans Oyster photocard.
Find out if you're eligible for a Freedom Pass (on the London Councils website) or 60+ London Oyster photocard.
How much do I save?
Bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and some National Rail services in London
You can travel free at any time using your Veterans Oyster photocard on:
- Buses in London showing the red roundel
- Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and TfL Rail
You can also travel on some National Rail services in London:
Chiltern Railway services between:
- Amersham and Marylebone
- West Ruislip and South Ruislip
- Great Northern services between Finsbury Park and King's Cross or Moorgate
- Thameslink services between West Hampstead Thameslink and Elephant & Castle and London Bridge
- London Northwestern Railway services between Harrow & Wealdstone and Euston
- Greater Anglia services between Stratford and Liverpool Street
- c2c services between Upminster and Fenchurch Street
You can travel free from 09:30* on weekdays and any time on weekends and public holidays on most other National Rail services in London.
Veterans Oyster photocards are not valid on the following National Rail services:
- London Northwestern Railway/Southern between Harrow & Wealdstone and Watford Junction
- Southeastern high speed service between Stratford and St Pancras International
- Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow
- Arriva Cross Country
- Heathrow and Gatwick Express services
- Stansted Express services north of Tottenham Hale (extension tickets can be bought for travel to Stansted Airport)
- Thameslink or Southern services between Coulsdon South and Gatwick Airport
- Grand Central, Hull Trains, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains East Coast, Virgin Trains
- ScotRail services
The Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme map shows you where and when you can travel free on National Rail services.
You need to pay full fare on all other National Rail services.
Show your Veterans Oyster photocard to pay a discounted fare on some river services. Check with the operator for the level of discount.
Emirates Air Line
Show your Veterans Oyster photocard to pay the discounted adult Boarding Pass fare.
How do I apply?
Call us on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges) to get an application form. You'll need to complete and return the form with:
- A photocopy of your Awards Notification or annual uprating letter from the Veterans UK or the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency dated within the last two years. This will show your entitlement to an ongoing payment under the War Pensions Scheme or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- A passport-sized photo of your head and shoulders. This must be a true likeness of you, your full face must be clearly visible and you should not be wearing anything that covers your head unless it is consistently worn for medical or religious reasons
If you meet the eligibility criteria, we'll send you your Oyster photocard and you can start using it immediately. Please read the Veterans Oyster card terms and conditions.
Changing your photo
You can change your photo online using the lost, stolen or damaged process. This costs £10.
Using your photocard
Once you've got your Veterans Oyster photocard you can start using it immediately.
Make sure you touch your card on the yellow card readers. It's a bit different for each type of transport. Find out more about touching in and out.
Your Veterans Oyster photocard will expire on the date shown on the front of your Veterans Oyster photocard.
Lost, stolen or damaged cards
Find out what to do if your Veterans Oyster photocard is lost, stolen, damaged or stops working.