If you're aged 60 or over, and live in London, you might be eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard.
Benefits and eligibility
A 60+ London Oyster photocard allows you to travel free on public transport in London from the age of 60 until you qualify for a Freedom Pass.
To be eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard, you must:
- Live in a London borough and
- Be aged 60 or over
With a 60+ London Oyster photocard you'll be able to travel
free on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail
services in London.
You're not eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard if:
- You're eligible for an older or disabled person's Freedom Pass
- You've got a Veterans Oyster photocard
- You're aged under 60
- You don't live in a London borough
Find out if you're eligible for a Freedom Pass.
How much do I save?
You can travel free at any time using your 60+ London Oyster photocard on:
- Buses in London showing the red roundel
- Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and TfL Rail - and take up to four under-11s with you for free
You can also travel free at any time on the following National Rail services in London:Chiltern Railway services between:
Great Northern services between Finsbury Park and King's CrossThameslink services between West Hampstead Thameslink and Elephant & CastleLondon Midland services between Harrow & Wealdstone and EustonGreater Anglia services between Stratford and Liverpool Streetc2c services between Upminster and Fenchurch Street
- Amersham and Marylebone
- West Ruislip and South Ruislip
You can travel free from 09:30* on weekdays and any time on weekends and public holidays on most other National Rail services in London. This includes the following routes which run parallel to London Overground:
- Southern services between New Cross Gate and West Croydon/Crystal Palace, or between Peckham Rye and Queens Park Peckham
- Southeastern services between Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye
(*Travel free from 09:00 on Southern services between Clapham Junction and Harrow & Wealdstone).
View the 60+ London Oyster photocard map to see where and when you can travel free on National Rail services.
You'll need to pay the full fare if you travel:
- On any National Rail services not shown on the map
- Before 09:30 on weekdays (except where it states free travel is allowed at any time)
You can't add pay as you go credit to your 60+ London Oyster photocard, so you'll need to use another way to pay.
Show your 60+ London Oyster photocard to pay a discounted fare on most river services. Check with the operator for the level of discount.
Emirates Air Line
Show your 60+ London Oyster photocard to pay the discounted adult Boarding Pass fare.
How do I apply?
You can apply online for a 60+ London Oyster photocard up to two weeks before you become eligible.
To apply online you'll need:
- A colour, digital photograph*
- An active email address
- A machine-readable passport (most valid travel passports are machine-readable) or a UK driving licence (full or provisional)
- A valid debit or credit card (registered at your current address) to pay the £20 admin fee and verify your address
If you don't have all this information you can still apply online but may be asked to:
- Download and print off a verification letter and take it to a post office in London with proof of your age and address
- Pay the £20 application fee at a post office
- Send us a passport-size photograph of yourself in the post
Proof of age should be one of the following:
- An ID card from a European Economic Area country
- Medical Card
- Birth certificate
- Driving licence
- Biometric Residency Permit
Proof of address should be one of the following, dated in the last three months:
- Residential utility bill
- Bank, building society or credit card statement
- Department for Work and Pensions letter
- HM Revenue and Customs letter
- Occupational pension letter
Or one of the following current documents:
- Council Tax bill
- Television licence
- Driving licence
- Council or Housing Association rent book or statement
*A colour, digital photograph must be:
- A jpg, bmp or gif file with a resolution of at least 300dpi, and less than 2MB in size
- A true likeness of you
- Without hats and head coverings, unless worn consistently for religious
or medical reasons and, only then, if the features of your face can still
be seen. If your photo doesn't meet these guidelines, it will be rejected
Need help applying?
If you need help applying, you can call us on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges). Please have the following information ready when you call:
- Details from your machine-readable passport or UK driving licence:
- Machine-readable passport: you'll need to provide details from the bottom of your passport on the page where your photo is displayed. Most travel passports worldwide are now machine-readable
- UK driving licence: you'll need to provide your driving licence number
- Your date of birth
- Your address
- A valid debit or credit card (registered at your current address) to pay the £20 admin fee and verify your address:
- Valid debit or credit card: you'll be asked to provide the long card number and expiry date displayed on the front of the card, and the last three digits on the signature strip on the back of your card
If you don't have all this information and are eligible to apply, call us.
When you apply for a 60+ London Oyster photocard, an Oyster photocard online account will be set up for you. After you have submitted an application, you'll be able to use your online account to check the status of your application.
You can also check the status of your application by:
- Texting your application reference number to 07624 809 356 (standard network charges apply and can vary considerably. Please check with your mobile service provider)
- Calling 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges)
If your application is successful, we'll post your 60+ London Oyster photocard to you. If you haven't received your card within two weeks of applying, please use your Oyster photocard online account to check your application.