Bus fleet data & audits
- This year's fleet size of 9,068 buses represents a reduction of 34 buses in comparison to last fleet audit total on 31 March 2020 of 9,102. The fleet total includes 485 Electric buses and 3,884 Hybrid buses (including 1,000 new Routemasters). There are no non-low floor vehicles in the fleet.
- The fleet as at 31 March 2021 included a number of additional vehicles retained in response to meeting Government guidelines on Social Distancing alongside a requirement from the DfE for the provision of Extra Schools Transport in Autumn 2020 through to Summer 2021 during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Read the full report
Operational vehicle data
- Transport for London (TfL) is committed to transparency in its operational information and as part of this policy is publishing the details of the contracted London Bus Fleet
- The data includes the make and model, basic attributes, age and the fuel and emission standards of the vehicle
- The data is used in summary form by TfL to document how modern and clean the fleet is and how we have adapted purchasing policy to harness the best and most appropriate emission reducing technologies for London
- This is a snapshot of the contracted bus fleet at the time of publication, based on information provided to us by contracted bus operators
- Data can be subject to change as we continually strive to improve quality and comprehensiveness, and enhance our internal systems
- Where a bus route is shown, this is the route the bus was contracted to operate on. As bus operators can (and do) move buses between routes to maintain an effective service, the information cannot be used to work out which buses are operating on a route at any particular date or time
- There are no plans to provide this data in other formats or more frequently than at the annual fleet audit review
- Where 'Unknown' is shown in the data set, the value has not been supplied to us or has not been validated