An audit of the London bus contracted fleet is carried out once a year. The data provides the fleet size, respective percentage of the fleet and average age by operator for comparison with previous audits.
- The current fleet size of 9,396 buses represents a decrease of 153 buses compared to the last fleet audit (30 September 2017) total of 9,549. This total includes: 1000 new Routemasters, 96 electric buses, 10 fuel cell buses and 3,240 hybrid buses (including new Routemasters)
- Apart from 10 vintage Routemasters running on one heritage route in central London, the Capital's entire bus fleet is low-floor and wheelchair accessible
The entire fleet is now the equivalent Euro IV or better following the retrofitting of around a quarter of the fleet with SCR (selective catalytic reduction) equipment. All Euro IIIs are now fitted with SCR.
Operational vehicle data
- Transport for London (TfL) is committed to transparency in its operational information and as part of this policy is publishing the details of the contracted London Bus Fleet
- The data includes the make and model, basic attributes, age and the fuel and emission standards of the vehicle
- The data is used in summary form by TfL to document how modern and clean the fleet is and how we have adapted purchasing policy to harness the best and most appropriate emission reducing technologies for London
- This is a snapshot of the contracted bus fleet at the time of publication, based on information provided to us by contracted bus operators
- Data can be subject to change as we continually strive to improve quality and comprehensiveness, and enhance our internal systems
- Where a bus route is shown, this is the route the bus was contracted to operate on. As bus operators can (and do) move buses between routes to maintain an effective service, the information cannot be used to work out which buses are operating on a route at any particular date or time
- There are no plans to provide this data in other formats or more frequently than at the annual fleet audit review
- Where 'Unknown' is shown in the data set, the value has not been supplied to us or has not been validated