Old Street roundabout and station
We're currently improving pedestrian crossings and adding segregated cycle lanes in the area. The roundabout was returned to two-way traffic in 2019.
We're also doing work in and around the station. A new public space around a new station entrance will make it easier to walk into and around the station and change between trains and buses.
Restrictions during the pandemic slowed our progress. We also discovered some uncharted utility cables in the ground which had to be diverted to ensure the new main station area has a consistent power supply.
Travel in the area
We'll continue to work closely with the community to keep disruption to a minimum.
Details of how your journey may be affected by our work in the area are on the Old Street roundabout travel advice page.
What we're doing
In July 2022 we:
- Opened an interim exit route through the main station entrance stairs while works continue on the above-ground part of the new entrance
- Permanently closed the Subway 3 exit
By winter 2022 we will:
- Complete most work to improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists travelling through the junction, with segregated cycle lanes, new traffic islands and signal-controlled pedestrian crossings. There will still be some pedestrian diversions in place while other works progress
By spring 2023 we will:
- Build a new main station entrance to Old Street station - it will have a green roof to complement the public space and environment. This and the entrance from Cowper Street will replace three of the four previous subway entrances. Subway 3 (southwest exit) is next to close
- Build a new lift from street level into the St Agnes Well mall retail concourse below
- Refurbish the St Agnes Well mall retail concourse
- Complete improvements to the lighting, paving and street furniture in the new public space
These works will be done Monday-Saturday, 07:00-19:00 with some night works between 20:30-05:30 because of Tube operations.
The eastbound bus stop 'K' on Old Street (east) has been temporarily closed while we resolve some issues. We'll re-open the bus stop as soon as possible.
The Subway 3 exit is permanently closed. Customers can use either the Cowper Street entrance, the main station interim entrance or the City Road (north) entrance to go in and out of the station.
To get around at surface level, customers can use crossing points at each end of the Old Street junction.
Old Street roundabout is running in its final configuration - the northwestern arm of the junction is permanently closed and traffic is flowing two-way.
Measures to manage traffic will stay in place at the junction until the scheme highway works are finished in winter 2022.
The right turns from Old Street west into City Road south and from Mallow Street into Old Street east are permanently banned.
Take extra care when walking, cycling and driving in the area - traffic may be coming from a different direction than you're used to.
Changes to station access
- The new entrance at Cowper Street provides direct access for customers to the station
- Subway 1 (northeast exit) and Subway 3 (southwest exit) are permanently closed
- The staircase at the City Road (north) exit (northwest exit) is open again and the ramp permanently closed. The green line leading to Moorfields Eye Hospital has been reinstated along the stairs
What we've done so far
- Removed the existing roundabout and permanently closed the northwest arm to create a new public space
- Switched road traffic movements to two-way
- Opened the new Cowper Street station entrance
- Refurbished and re-opened the City Road (north) exit stair (northwest exit) with the green line toward Moorfields Eye Hospital reinstated.
- Closed the ramp of City Road (north) exit (northwest exit) to begin works on the new lift
- Permanently closed Subway 1 (northeast exit) and opened a new section of segregated cycle lane between City Road (north) and Old Street east
- Opened a section of new segregated cycle lane between Old Street east and City Road south
- Created dedicated cycle and pedestrian routes through the works site
The dedicated public liaison officer can answer questions about the works:
Telephone: 07971 123 700
For general information about the project, or if you want to receive our quarterly newsletters by email, contact us at:
We held a public consultation on the proposals for Old Street between November 2014 and January 2015.