Old Street roundabout
Removing the roundabout and returning the traffic to two-way will let us improve pedestrian crossings and add segregated cycle lanes. A new public space to be built around a new station entrance will make it easier to walk into and around the station and change between trains and buses.
It's likely that some of our plans will be adjusted as part of the Streetspace for London.
Switching traffic to two-way
Old Street roundabout is now running with two-way traffic.
The northeastern arm of the roundabout is temporarily closed to vehicles. The left turn from Old Street west into City Road north and the right turn from City Road south into Old Street east is currently banned. These restrictions will be removed as part of the next traffic switch in mid-January 2021.
Take extra care when walking, cycling and driving in the area - traffic may be coming from a different direction than you're used to.
What we're doing
As part of the scheme we will:
- Remove the existing roundabout and close the northwest arm to create a new public space
- Switch road traffic movements to two-way
- Remodel the entrances to the Tube station by closing three of the four existing subway entrances. These will be replaced by two new station entrances, one accessible from Cowper Street and a main station entrance with a green roof to complement the public space and environment
- Improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists travelling through the junction with segregated cycle lanes and signal-controlled pedestrian crossings
- Build a new lift from street level to the St Agnes Well mall retail concourse
- Closed the end of Cowper Street nearest to the roundabout for pedestrians so we can build the new Cowper Street station entrance. This will be finished in summer 2021
- Removed the traffic islands on all four arms of the roundabout to make sure traffic flows safely
- Closed the southeastern pedestrian subway (Subway 2) leading to St Agnes Well and the Tube station
- Reopened the southeastern arm of the junction to traffic. Two-way traffic is now running around the junction
- Closed the northeastern arm of the junction to traffic. Two-way traffic is now running around the junction
- Created dedicated cycle and pedestrian routes through the works site
- Building new traffic islands and cycle lanes on the northeastern arm
- Structural works in the centre of the roundabout to prepare for construction of the new main entrance to Old Street station
- Reopening the northeastern arm of the roundabout and closing the northwestern arm to traffic in mid-January 2021
- Building a new main station entrance to Old Street station
- Opening the new Cowper Street entrance to Old Street Station in summer 2021
- Building a new lift into St Agnes Well mall
- Transforming the roundabout into a new public space
- Permanently closing Subways 1 and 3
These works will be done Monday-Saturday, 07:00-19:00 with some night works between 20:30-05:30 because of Tube operations.
Public drop-in sessions suspended
Our public drop-in sessions are temporarily on hold. You can still contact us with any questions or comments.
Our dedicated public liaison officer can answer questions about the works:
Telephone: 07971 123 700
For general information about the project:
A public consultation on the proposals for Old Street was held between November 2014 and January 2015.
More than 1,300 comments were received. The headline results:
- 87% of respondents believed that the proposals would improve conditions for pedestrians and cyclists
- 63% believed that bus and tube passengers would also benefit
See the full consultation report on the Old Street roundabout consultation page.