We're carrying out work to make the junction of Old Street and City Road more pedestrian- and cycle-friendly.
We have switched the roundabout to two-way traffic. More about the project.
Here is how transport is affected.
Until autumn 2020
- Buses are running on their normal routes, but may be delayed at the Old Street junction
For the latest information on how buses are running, see our bus status updates.
Follow @TfLBusAlerts for news and service information.
Until spring 2020
- Old Street is two-way and the south-eastern section of the junction is closed to vehicles
- Delays are expected in all directions on the approach to the Old Street junction - allow more time for your journey. Alternatively, you may wish to consider making your local journey by cycling or walking
Congestion Charging & Ultra Low Emission Zone
From 26 May 2019 TfL amended the Congestion Charging (CC) & Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) boundary at Old Street roundabout.
- For most drivers, the change will make little difference - you can still avoid the zone by using the A501 Old Street and City Road
- Traffic flow on the Old Street Station service road has been reversed to exit into the CC & ULEZ zones.
Local businesses receiving delivery and servicing trips
Delays are expected during construction works at the Old Street roundabout until autumn 2020.
- Consider taking action to minimise the impact of any delivery or servicing trips made to your premises by:
- Talking to your supplier about whether they can re-time their trips to outside of peak hours
- Reducing trips by streamlining your suppliers and the number of visits they make to your premises
- We are running a programme of support for local businesses around Old Street to help minimise the impact of the works on delivery and servicing trips. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Old Street Freight' in the subject line
For the latest information on how London roads are operating, see our traffic status updates map.
For news about traffic in London, follow @TfLTrafficNews on Twitter.
Until spring 2020
- Some segregated cycle lanes and dedicated cycle signals are in place at the Old Street junction
- We also have signed cycle routes in place to help guide you through the area
- Take care as you travel through the new two-way system, and be aware of pedestrians and other traffic
There are a number of Santander cycle docking stations in the area. Check availability using the online docking station map. You can download the Santander Cycles app from the App Store or Google Play.
Follow @SantanderCycles for news and customer service.
7 May 2019 - early 2020
- The pedestrian subway on Cowper Street (subway 2) is closed
- There is no access to subway 2, which may mean you have a longer walk into or out of the station
- There are signs to guide you through the area
Tube and rail
Tube and rail services are not affected by the Old Street roundabout works. It may take longer than usual to get into and out of Old Street station during construction works - allow extra time.
Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools. See: