Hammersmith Bridge closure
Find out more on the Hammmersmith Bridge project page.
There are diversions for motorists via Chiswick Bridge and Putney Bridge.
The bridge will remain closed until we can be assured it is safe. Ongoing investigations will give a clearer idea of how long that will be.
We are working with Hammersmith & Fulham Council to confirm plans for major refurbishment work.
Use our travel tools
Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools. Keep up-to-date with the latest service information.
- The TfL Go app has interactive maps, live arrival times and other travel information
- The TfL TravelBot on Facebook Messenger
- Journey Planner can help you plan your route by public transport, cycling or walking
- The latest status updates for roads in the area around Hammersmith Bridge
- Nearby, which uses your current location or a postcode or address of your choice and places you on a map, showing you Tube, bus, river, London Overground, DLR, TfL Rail and Santander Cycles locations around you
- Our email updates
Crossing the river
Use alternative bus connections to cross the river. You can:
- Change between routes 378 and 220 at Putney Bridge
- Change between routes 265 and 220 at Putney Bridge station
- Change between routes 419 and 190 at Lower Richmond Road/Clifford Avenue
- Change between routes 33 and 430 via a short walk between Barnes station/Rocks Lane and Lower Richmond Road
There will be posters at selected bus stops on how to get a bus across the river.
After the bridge reopens to foot and cycle traffic, we will review how demand changes and may adjust services.
Other bus changes
We have already made these changes to the local buses, and will continue to review and adjust the bus network.
- Routes 33, 72, 209, and 485 are running shortened or altered routes
- A new route, route 533 is running between Barnes and Hammersmith via Chiswick Bridge
- Route 419 has been extended from Barnes Pond to Roehampton, Bessborough Road. The full route is now Richmond station to Roehampton, Bessborough Road. Buses run every 12 minutes on Monday to Saturday and every 20 minutes on Sundays
The changes are designed to:
- Provide or enhance direct links between Roehampton, Mortlake, Barnes and the Tube network at Putney Bridge
- Retain a direct link between Barnes, Mortlake and Hammersmith, where there is step-free access to the Tube
- Reinstate route 72 to its full length north of the river so it again runs between Hammersmith and East Acton
Bus routes which normally run across Chiswick Bridge and Putney Bridge continue to do so.
Use the District line for bus connections:
- Hammersmith for route 220
- Putney Bridge for route 265
- East Putney for route 337
Use South Western Railway for bus connections:
- Barnes Bridge for routes 209, 378 and 41 Also trains from Barnes Bridge to Kew Bridge for bus connection to Hammersmith
- Barnes for routes 33, 265 and 419. Also trains from Barnes to Richmond for connection to the District line to Hammersmith
Drivers and deliveries
There are diversions via Chiswick Bridge and Putney Bridge. Delays on the diversion routes and other roads in the area are expected.
Find an alternative route and river crossing where possible.
For the latest information on how London roads are operating, see our traffic status updates map.