Using TfL Go for step-free journeys
The app includes detailed step-free maps and step-free journey planning tools such as platform-level information on gaps and steps, manual ramps and level access points needed to board a train.
Future Android releases will include live lift status and accessible toilets information. There may be some differences between the iOS and Android versions of TfL Go.
TfL Go is available for both iOS and Android devices.
Coming soon on Android:
- Step-free information
- Steps and gaps
Using the interactive map
- Pinch to zoom in and out of the map
- Swipe up, down, left and right to move the map around
- Tap on the step-free button to see step-free stations on the map
- Activating step-free mode changes your journey planner preference to plan step-free to platform
Step-free to train
Step-free to platform
Step-free to train in one direction
Step-free to platform in one direction
Interchange only (step-free to platform or to train interchange only)
- At stations marked with these symbols you can change between lines step-free (sometimes only in one direction), but you will not be able to get in or out of the station without using stairs and/or escalators
No step-free access (station at start or end of line)
- These symbols show the direction of a line at stations that are not step-free. You will not be able to get in/out or interchange at these stations
- Tap on a station on the map
... or search to open a station summary
- Tap on the station summary
- Get station information like platforms arrivals, fares zone and toilets
- Tap on the 'Go now' button on the station summary or station information page
- From here you can plan a journey to the station from your current location
- Tap on the platform
- Then tap on the step-free information button
- You can see, for example, if there is street to platform or street to train access
Steps and gaps
Step-free to train
Suitable for most customers, including wheelchair users.
Steps: 0 - 50mm (0 - 2 inches)
Gaps: 0 - 85mm (0 - 3.3 inches)
Step-free to platform
Suitable for customers with mobility impairments,luggage and buggies and some wheelchair users.
These stations might have manual ramps.
Steps: 51 - 120mm (2 - 4.7 inches) and 120mm (4.7 inches)
Gaps: 86 - 180mm (3.3 - 7 inches) and over 180mm (7 inches)
Set your step-free journey planner preferences
- Tap on 'Where to?' to search for an address, post code or station and plan a journey from your current location
- Change your starting point or tap on the journey options icon
- In the 'Options' screen you can change your step-free journey preferences
The app will keep your step-free preferences.
When Step-free mode is turned off and then on again, the app will apply the last preference you chose.
Tips for an accessible journey
- Plan ahead, including your return journey - You might need a different route, or alternative station entrance
- Status update - Tap on the 'Status' icon on the app landing page to open the service status board
- Check on the status on individual lines - tap on a line to see a summary of the current disruption
- Check out the platforms you will use - see if they have steps and gaps you can manage, a manual ramp for boarding the train, or has designated level-access points for getting on or off trains. (You might need these points even at level-access platforms to get off the train at your destination)
- Make sure all lifts you need are in service - no step-free journeys shown would include routes with a lift being unavailable. However, our map does not yet show live lift status. If in doubt, please check planned engineering works and the availability of station lifts on our Status updates page
- Book ahead to get help at London Overground or TfL Rail stations by calling 0343 222 1234 (call charges may apply)
- Find a Blue Badge parking spot
- For your own safety, do not use a moving escalator unless you can step onto it, stand on it and step off it
- If you have problems with your planned route, please contact a member of staff at the station (or use the Help Point). Ask if staff are able to assist you and if it is safe to do so
- If you are unable to complete your planned step-free journey because the lifts are out of service, we will help you find an accessible route to your destination, including booking you a taxi if there is no suitable route by public transport
Feedback and support
If you have any issues with the app: